Advice Needed (Prospective Student)

LJS1993

Okay guys first off let me say I'm not currently in training however I do have a huge interest and respect for general aviation. I give you guys major props for getting up there and major respect.
With that said I want some advice for someone who is taking an interest in attaining a private pilots license. I have spoken with some people and have received conflicting opinions. One friend who almost got his sport license but had to quit for financial reasons says it's very safe and that general aviation is very safe with the right training. Another guy, a U.S. Air Force pilot who flies cargo planes says general aviation has issues do to a lack of overall pilot preparation with some very quick solos. He was honest and didn't want to discourage me but said some of the small planes truly are not safe and coupled with a lack of training time can cause major problems. So what is it guys?

LJS1993 said:
I see what you mean about the military looking down at general aviation. I guess it's like any other industry/hobby where certain sectors feel superior to others. I plan on perhaps taking an intro this summer and seeing how I take to actually being up in the air. Who knows maybe I'll freak out and never want to go up ever again. Either way major respect for you guys who have reached pilot status.
I doubt you'll freak out in a bad way. Either it will be a "gee this is neat" or "wow this is awesome" or even "hoo boy, I think I'm getting motion sick."

There are some people on this board who learned via the military - hopefully eventually some of them will provide their views.

Since the Air Force uses a different criteria for defining an accident than the FAA does for civilians, the numbers aren't easily comparable. They throw a bunch of money at their problems and have a large support system designed to minimize accidents.

As Dale has already pointed out, a good portion of GA safety is in the hands of the pilot. But it does take an unceasing effort and self-discipline to keep the chance of an accident low.

Back