Any tips/advice on flying into San Juan Island, WA?

Jim Logajan

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking of taking a flight there with the wife one weekend sometime in the next month (fly up Saturday morning, back down Sunday afternoon,) schedule and weather permitting. Sounds like a nice place to go, and looks like you can't get there by driving a car (excluding ferrys.) Perfect excuse to fly.

As you can see, it could be a straight shot in a rented C-172 from my home field of 77S with only about 2.5 hours flight time. Definitely some interesting airspace up that way, and gets close to the border. If anyone has been there and has either tips on flying in that area, or suggested places to stay and hike, visit, or stroll around, I'd be interested in reading them. Thanks!

attachment.php

Thanks!

Life vests - for sure. Plenty of altitude before crossing water - definitely.

Weather and personal schedule may make it hard to accomplish anytime soon, but would like to do it as an adventure for a low-time pilot.

dell30rb said:
4.3 hours and he's probably out of fuel
Good point. If the 152 had standard tanks with 24.5 g usable, that would be close to maximum endurance per the POH. Have to give him credit for good leaning, eh?

kgruber said:
The hard part is not getting out of the door, but finding your seatbelt, unlatching the door, and figuring which way is up...........all while upside down and sinking in cold DARK water.

Thus egress training!
Thanks for the egress pointer; found this related video:

Back