Apollo GX-50 without updated database on checkride?

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
So the Cherokee in which I am training a private pilot student has an older Apollo GX-50 GPS. Of course it does not have a current database.

So I am wondering what is the best way to handle this for the checkride? Does he have to know how to use it? Or inop it due to the out of date database?

Or inop it due to the out of date database?
I believe the AIM offers guidance on flying with non-current databases and what one can perform. Whether a "check-ride" changes that guidance I dont know. So unless things have changed you usually don't need to inop it per 91.213.

So it seems that AIM 1-1-17 1. (c) 2 deals with database currency during VFR flight. It notes that the database does not need to be current for this type of operation and that is all.

I believe, however, that if the device is in the plane and operational that my student will have to demonstrate how to use it. Private pilot ACS appendix 7 seems to say that is a requirement.

Since this device has likely not actually been used in 10 years and there is a newer 430 in the plane, I am wondering if it can be inoped so he doesn't have to demonstrate use?

Last edited:
Back