Appears that I'm grounded for 2 years, now what?

Jeff Szlauko

Long story short, I experienced a TIA back in March, and according to the FAA rules, I will need to take a 2 year break from flying. This is the input I got from AOPA.
I also had a heart stent put in back in January, which, also according to AOPA, disqualifies me for basic med, unless I apply for an FAA medical certificate and issued a Special Issuance. But either way, it appears I'm in for a two year break.

I got so close to completing my private pilot training, as I was to the point of just needing to complete my long cross country solo flight, and about a half hour of instrument training. Then I took a break which became a much longer break due to COVID, and the desire to save up some money. Then the above mentioned medical stuff happened.

Just wondering now what to do with the two year break.

Any ideas? Has anybody else experienced this?

Sort of depressing. Was thinking if nothing else, be good to go up with an instructor at least once in a while in order to stay somewhat "ready". Perhaps hit the books for two years and ace the written!

Any ways, feel free to bounce ideas off me. Thanks!

TCABM said:
Gliders are an option.
I strongly endorse the glider idea, so long as you and your doctor think you are safe to fly them. The sport of soaring is quite challenging and different than powered flight. Very elegant. I always like to link this video to illustrate that -

Back