Atc ask me if I was adsb

Topper

I was talking with Kansas City approach clear of the Bravo heading into downtown (mkc). The controller ask if I had time for a question and ask if I was dabs equipped. I told him I was but did not ask why he inquired. I was about to be handed off to tower.

I am curious about the question. Obviously he could tell something, but must not have been able to tell for sure. What gave him indication that I might be adsb and why was that not enough for him to know. What might prompt him to ask?

It appears that I do not have my tail number entered to broadcast. I am wondering if it should be. I know some will say it is an invitation for trouble should I bust an airspace. If I broadcast my number and monitored 121.5, would they maybe try to reach out to me if I was close to trouble. What are the pros/cons to broadcasting.

FWIW I always use ff for cross countries and expect to file ifr once I get that ticket.

Jim

frfly172 said:
Have no idea why a controller would ask that question out of the blue. Shouldn't he be able to tell?
If the voice on the radio uses one identifier, then if the ADS-B isn't sending the same identifier or one that can ID the same aircraft, ATC has no way except deduction to correlate the audio with the radar transponder return.

Likely ATC was just confirming their suspicion.

Back