Aug 18-19, 2012 - POA fly-in Shelter Cove

I'll probably fly over to the coast and down it at some point, flying just offshore. One problem I see is that the land that would be within gliding distance would often be cliffs or wooded slopes. No land-able beaches for quite number of stretches. So a water ditching is a likely outcome of any engine or flight problems. So I'm buying a couple of these:
http://www.astoverwater.com/catalog/item/5281094/5250347.htm

kimberlyanne546 said:
Doubt I could talk the BF into wearing one and I fly the Bay Tour (over water, low altitude, very few landing spots) all the time.
The risk exposure is lower than you (and I) have previously accepted, so on reflection I suppose it wouldn't make sense to read too much into my decision. Maybe the last 20 miles of the flight would be in an area where an ocean ditching would be safer to do than a forced landing on land.

I've got other flights that I am interested in doing where life preservers would be advisable, so that is also a driving factor. And a tad more disposable income than you I imagine.

Sac Arrow said:
What's going to get you in an ocean ditching off the North Coast is hypothermia. A life vest in itself isn't going to buy you much. If you really want to prepare yourself for a survival in an ocean ditching you need to wear a survival suit. Or an inflatable vest and a wetsuit would work, I guess.
Unfortunately you have a point. A raft would be best - which I'm thinking of, but involves a big investment relative to the risk in this particular flight. By the way, the following web page seems to provide some useful insight into what to do to increase survivability in ditching:

http://www.equipped.com/ditchingmyths.htm
"Last, if you take no other wisdom away from this examination of ditchings, know this: All things considered, when faced with landing on the water or impacting trees, rocks, or other rough surfaces, the water is more likely to be survivable. Where this might come into play is during an emergency landing where the choice may be between a crowded beach or a rough wooded area and an expanse of open water. This should be no contest; the water wins."

Just a few miscellaneous items:

Unless it has to go in for maintenance, I'll be flying N1227U, a C-172. I may also buy some tie downs and rope for it, in case all of the half dozen (or maybe a dozen?) of the tie downs they have at Shelter Cove are in use when I get there.

Since different people will be arriving on different days, maybe it makes sense to make Garberville the alternate airport in case coastal fog prevents anyone from landing at Shelter Cove, and contact one of the shuttle services that appear to be based in the area. If they can be available to shuttle people between Garberville and Lost Coast, at least accommodations are less likely to need changing at the last minute.

I've found three places that advertise shuttle services that may be able to handle our unusual requirements:
http://www.lostcoastshuttle.com/
(Reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/lost-coast-shuttle-whitethorn )
http://www.lostcoasttrail.com/
(Reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/lost-coast-trail-transport-service-whitethorn )
http://lostcoastadventures.com/
(Couldn't locate any reviews; rather new.)

None actually advertise an "as needed/if needed" Garberville airport-to-Shelter Cove service of the type we need, but I suspect at least one or two would be willing to provide such a service for a price. I'm willing to contact them if anyone is interested - let me know the likely days and times you'd need their services. May need to pony up a non-refundable reservation deposit; to be negotiated.

I think weather other than fog that might prevent one or more of us from getting in to Shelter Cove or Garberville will be of the type that will appear in a forecast that allows more lead time to make a cancel decision.

John221us said:
Ok, Jim, that might be a better plan than rerouting to Columbia. I didn't realize that was an option. We might have to coordinate our arrival for something like that, though and I am scheduled to come in Friday evening.
I think it may be worthwhile to make the effort to make it an option, given that you have scheduled to get in on Friday and Jonathan (focal_plane) has scheduled to come in Thursday. Kimberly and I have scheduled Saturday arrivals. I don't know who else will show up, or when.

Given all that, I'd like to hire one of the shuttles to be available on an on call basis Thursday through Sunday so that we have some flexibility, not be forced to coordinate to use them. Just need a phone number to call them if someone finds they need to fly into Garberville. This wouldn't save any money over diverting to Columbia (may actually cost more) but I think reduces the diversion angst.

kimberlyanne546 said:
BLACK SANDS BEACH, SHELTER COVE TO MATTOLE BEACH . . . . . . . . . . . . . $200
USAL BEACH TO HIDDEN VALLEY . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $350
USAL BEACH TO MATTOLE BEACH . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $450

SHUTTLES ARE AVAILABLE TO OTHER TRAILHEADS, PLEASE CALL FOR A QUOTE
According to Google maps, Shelter Cove to Mattole Beach is a 2 hour drive over about 50 miles of road. Shelter Cove to Garberville is about a 1 hour drive over about 24 miles. That should translate into a rate lower than $200.

The only problem with getting a rental car is the locations you'd have to fly into to pick up - Arcata or Eureka, both of which can also be fogged in.

According to Google maps, Shelter Cove to Mattole Beach is a 2 hour drive over about 50 miles of road. Shelter Cove to Garberville is about a 1 hour drive over about 24 miles. That should translate into a rate lower than $200.

The only problem with getting a rental car is the locations you'd have to fly into to pick up - Arcata or Eureka, both of which can also be fogged in.
Just FYI for anyone who I haven't sent a private message: I have started contacting shuttle firms to see if they are willing to provide backup ground transport between Garberville and Shelter Cove. I've explained the requirements and gotten interest from the two firms I've so far contacted, but I have yet to discuss details, like price and availability. I don't have a clear idea of who would like this service option, and what days, but I need that information to move forward.

So anyone who I have not contacted privately that is interested in flying in to Shelter Cove on or around the dates proposed, and would like to have that option, please contact me via PM or this thread with the days you'd be flying in and out.

UPDATE on the Garberville alternate for people who I haven't contacted by private message:

I've contacted several of the shuttle firms that normally transport hikers or do area tours, and the following two have indicated they can be available to anyone needing transport between Garberville airport and Shelter Cove in case the latter stays fogged in on arrival days from Thursday to Saturday (with a Sunday departure):

Roxanne of Lost Coast Trail Transport Service responded to my email with an email that said that she has done this sort of transport before; understands about the fog, and would know to expect calls if Shelter Cove stays fogged in. She could be called on her land-line (707-986-9909) or cell (707-273-7414) for a fog report. She can carry up to 3 people on a trip and the rate is $120. No deposit is needed; we'd call if/when we needed her service.

Blu Graham at Lost Coast Adventures responded to my email by suggesting we talk on the phone. For a single trip the price would be between $80 to $100. If the pilots are packing light, it sounds like he could carry 4 or 5 people in one trip, lowering the per person cost. So if we can manage any sort of scheduling coordination on landing in Garberville that may help. Otherwise there would be a 1.5 to 2 hour wait between shuttles, since that is how long it would take to go from Garberville airport to Shelter Cove and back again. (This of course would be the case with either firm.) He also said that if he had to do a lot of shuttling his cost would be at his hourly rate of between $40 and $50/hour.

No deposit is needed for him either, and he has already penciled us in for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. He would schedule in hiking groups on those days anyway, but presumably keep some flexibility in his schedule in case we needed his services. He asked that I contact him 7 to 4 days before any of us arrive to let him know if other weather precludes us from even getting in. (He says he has a friend who is a local pilot and was willing to provide that pilot's contact information if we wanted a local source of weather. I said we already had a hotel innkeeper who could provide that info.)

The price range given by Graham is due no doubt to this being the first time he has considered offering this service. The above all comes from notes I took during our phone conversation, hence some ambiguities.

I have not settled on one firm, but I think I probably should. Should I simply go with the cheapest, or the more experienced?

kimberlyanne546 said:
Do these drivers know that if they take us from the airport to our hotel in Shelter Cove on Saturday, we therefore have to go back on Sunday and hire them again?
Yes they are both very well aware of this requirement.

I know that sounds silly, but I didn't think of it, and I don't really want to pay $120 twice (240) that's more than my hotel room and maybe even more than my flight.

My concerns involve getting a hold of these people via cell. Or the other pilots. Once we are there, at the shuttle, we can pick a time to go home on Sunday (or let him know we'll call him Sunday morning after we check the weather).
It is expensive; the $80 to $100 quote is modestly better. I believe in both cases they were quoting one-way, but I will contact them to verify.

Both indicated that they should be called at their land-line and cell phone numbers. I will verify that.

Oh and do they take credit cards or just cash? What about checks? I don't normally carry hundreds of dollars and I'd bet ATMs are tough out there.
Good point on the forms of payment - I don't carry much cash these days either. I will ask.

UPDATE AGAIN on using Garberville airport as an alternate.

I had written:

Roxanne of Lost Coast Trail Transport Service [...] She can carry up to 3 people on a trip and the rate is $120. No deposit is needed; we'd call if/when we needed her service.
She accepts cash only. Because she is also more expensive per trip and can carry only 3 people, I think she needs to be ruled out.

Blu Graham at Lost Coast Adventures [...] For a single trip the price would be between $80 to $100.
Blu called me back today and his rate is definitely $100 per trip ($200 round trip.) However, his van can carry 8 to 10 people and has a luggage rack. Alas, when I answered his call I didn't have my notes handy so forgot to ask about forms of payment. I suspect cash only, though.

On Friday the 17th he would be available most of the afternoon (at least as of today, the 2nd.) He is already booked to do some shuttling at 4 PM on Saturday the 18th, but would be available for shuttles between noon and 2 PM. He is available Sunday the 19th and knows that if we use him earlier we'd need him that day to get back.

I think Blu Graham is the best ground transport option, should anyone want to use it. Not cheap, alas, unless two or more groups can sync up to share costs. Personally, if it is severe clear on the coast because the wind is offshore and causing too much turbulence for my skill level as the air spills over the mountains into Shelter Cove then I'm more than willing to turn tail and try Garberville. So I made sure to let him know that even if there is no fog some of us might want to use his services anyway (assuming Garberville is calmer!) Of course he'd probably be available for other ground transport needs for traditional touristy things.

kimberlyanne546 said:
http://www.sheltercoveoceanfrontinn.com/restaurant.html

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cove-restaurant-whitethorn

John / Jim - will both of you join us for dinner or do you have other plans? I'll let you know when I confirm with the restaurant.

Jonathan - you too? How many? John and Jim are both parties of 2.

Can't find a menu, or prices, anywhere. Don't know if they'll let us all have separate checks. They have a bar there if we have to wait to be seated or arrive before the others do.
My wife and I will be happy to have dinner with you and whoever else wants to join up.

We aren't that particular about food (no dietary restrictions) so we're cool on whatever can be worked out.

kimberlyanne546 said:
Updated information on who to call for rides:

When you land at Garberville, if you have to land there, call Jill at Lost Coast Shuttle - 707-986-7437. There should be OK cell service at that airport.
I should have done this sooner, but I just now left a voicemail and email for Blu Graham at Lost Coast Adventure Tours that we had arranged other transportation options. (Between us, Kimberly and I have contacted everyone who provides any sort of ground transport in the area.) However, if anyone does land in Garberville and can't raise Lost Coast Shuttle, then it can't hurt to try calling Lost Coast Adventure Tours.

I told Jill that Jim and I won't land until Saturday, but some of you are landing on other days / times.
Since I'm hoping to head down the coast (I'm assuming it wont clear till after noon,) I had not planned to depart till after 11 am, which will have us arriving between 2 and 3 PM.

I have no set departure time for Sunday - just a range of between noon and 4 PM at the latest.

kimberlyanne546 said:
I planned to arrive much earlier, but if I am stuck in Petaluma without being able to take off and I end up in Garberville, I'll keep your intended landing times in mind. Can you / your wife get texts in the plane? I would only text if I've landed or have a wx update for you.
I don't know - I think it best to assume no. Since NWS is forecasting a slight chance of thunderstorms between 77S and 0Q5 I'll probably contact FSS to get weather updates, though I'm pretty sure they wont be able to tell me what is happening at Shelter Cove.

Landed so that you know if we can group up in the van (depends where I land).

Wx update if I get one from the plane or from another local / pilot. This helped a lot last weekend in Little River, the airport manager looked outside at the same time each morning and predicted when the fog would lift - and he was correct. He lives at the airport and has been there for years.
Think there is anyone like that at Shelter Cove who can be called for that kind of prediction?

kimberlyanne546 said:
Just thought of this - I wonder if they have a fee.
As John notes, no fees at Shelter Cove.

But according to AOPA there are tiedown fees at Garberville, in case you need to land there. For that matter, there is allegedly fuel at Garberville, though the sectionals don't show any service ticks on o16.

By the way, if you delay your takeoff late enough due to weather, the chances of us syncing up in Garberville increases.

So far all the weather prognosis says flyable weather at least to Garberville (I may need to do some last minute rerouting due to forecast scattered t-storms in Oregon. I'd like to fly down the coast, but may have to fly south to roughly Redding then west to the coast.)

kimberlyanne546 said:
Tentative plans:

Saturday - 4pm - Location Shelter Cove Airport - Kimberly hosts a meeting near the runway (beer and light snacks will be provided, other beverages and food available inside the store if you so choose). Since I will be a customer of the deli, buying the beer / ice for my cooler there, they will let us use their tables / picnic area. I plan to be there 30-60 minutes just to put a face with a name for everyone (the only person I've met is John). This is an optional thing since we will all be meeting for dinner, and I created this meeting thinking we'd have "day trippers" stopping in for just the day so I wanted a way to see them / their planes.

Saturday - after meet and greet - back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. Hotel may lend Kimberly the van to drive everyone to dinner, not sure how far it would be to walk. I think we are all staying in the same hotel?

Saturday - dinner (unconfirmed, waiting for restaurant to call me back tonight) The Cove Restaurant, 7pm. Seafood (no menu online)? Full Bar, possible beach bonfire / walk afterwards if weather isn't too nasty.

I am no longer sure about the Sunday meeting since I'll need to leave when the weather tells me to leave and a lot depends on my plane being at Shelter Cove and not Garberville.
Thanks for putting that together.

We're going to walk (we can always use the exercise,) so I don't think we'll need rides anywhere in Shelter Cove (excepting of course maybe to and from Garberville.)

I think Sunday is a departure day for most of us, so that's all that should be on our personal plans. We wont know till Saturday night for sure if some of us will need rides to Garberville where we can share expenses.

skidoo said:
I flew from Montana through Oregon, Northern Calif, and SoCal today. Holy Cow! was it smoky today. The whole way was clear and VFR. However, the entire state of Oregon to Shasta was full of smoke. I was surprised how low the visibility appeared even when I could make out some mountains barely at 25 miles. At some points, maybe visibility was 5 to 10 miles. At that point, I climbed to 13.5K to get above it. I did not like it much! I kept imagining how clouds could easily be embedded within the haze where they could not be seen until too late, although not quite as risky as not seeing a mountain. Here is a shot with Mt Shasta.
I flew from Creswell (77S) to Toledo State Oregon (5S4) on Monday and it was almost as bad then. There are fires in northern California and southern Oregon (also a bunch of fire fighting TFRs) feeding all that smoke into the valleys. Hot weather and inversions seem to do the rest.

Weather is expected to get cooler and wetter this Friday and Saturday and hopefully help clear the air a little. Unfortunately I have to be a lot more fluid in my travel plans because of that weather.

kimberlyanne546 said:
OK so I watched the 13 second time lapse for yesterday (the SouthEast cam which seems to be the foggiest).

It was only blue sky for about a second or two (fog before and after). How can I tell what time the blue sky appeared?

Here is a link:

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams...html?month=08&year=2012&filename=20120816.mp4
Take a look at the Northwest Cam archived videos - there is a barely visible timestamp running across the top of the video. It appears to be the only camera with a timestamp recorded on it. In that direction it looks like it cleared yesterday somewhere around 3:40 to 4:20 PM.

kimberlyanne546 said:
It is a bummer that things won't clear until so late in the afternoon, which tempts me to just fly to Garberville and pay for the shuttle (my "worst case" scenario). It also makes me worry about getting "stuck".

Jim, roughly what time would you land in Garberville if we decide to do that and split the costs of the shuttle? 2pm?
Hard to give a small time window because there is a ~20% chance of scattered thunderstorms between here and northern California, so remote possibility my departure time could be delayed (that and not know who I might have to wait behind at the fuel pump before departing.) Otherwise I will say arrival around 2:30 PM, +/- 30 minutes. If you like, I can try to give you a call when we depart - which would probably be between 11:30 AM and noon.

I think if you do have to depart in the afternoon so your arrival time is around 2:30 PM you actually have a much higher chance of getting directly into Shelter Cove. Otherwise we can try to meet up at Garberville around then.

kimberlyanne546 said:
Yes, please either call or text when you depart. I would like to know when you are in the air. I can then leave at some point after that, knowing when I land (if I land in Garberbille) that you will land within an hour or two. I don't mind the wait.

It will cut both our costs in half if we split the shuttle. But of course we both really want to land in Shelter Cove (to me, part of the whole experience will be landing there - though I've landed at Half Moon Bay before which is also pretty much on the water).
I will call. [1] If you find the weather good for an early departure direct to Shelter Cove, call or email me. (Or text; I at least know how to read them.)

[1] I've never learned to text and I'm afraid I don't understand the advantage over verbal dialog that makes it worth the effort; I think my wife knows how to text, though.

Goofy said:
Anybody able to get out of there today?
I believe everyone managed who managed to get in also got out by 1 PM when the fog rolled out long enough to depart.

I had to divert to Garberville Saturday afternoon, so called for a shuttle to take my wife and I between it and Shelter Cove. By the time the shuttle picked us up at 1 PM all the planes had departed on Sunday.

Back