Aviationisms appearing in my new book

steingar

In my first run of the book I had inserted aviation quotes into some of the pages. I thought I had scrubbed them from the materials sent to the publishers, but they appeared in the pages I got for rough proofs. And I liked them.

However, I had no attributions, and was very worried about copyright issues. So Mrs. Steingar and I spent much of the weekend searching the internet for attributable quotes. I got quite a few, lots that I really, really like. There are still a few anonymous quotes, and if anyone knows the authors, do let me know. Otherwise, enjoy.

The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee.— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute.— George Bernard Shaw

Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet air intakes John Benfield.

God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages. Jacques Deval

The state bird of New York is the Jaywalk Archie Bulger

No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings.— William Blake

If God wanted us to fly, He would have given us tickets.— Mel Brooks

There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth.— Richard Gordon

I will ignore all ideas for new works and engines of war, the invention of which has reached its limits and for whose improvement I see no further hope.— Julius Frontinus, chief military engineer to the Emperor Vespasian, c. AD 70

Air power may either end war or end civilization.— Winston Churchill

Hitler built a fortress around Europe, but he forgot to put a roof on it.— Franklin D. Roosevelt

Nobody kicks *** without tanker gas. Nobody.— attributed to the special operations KC-135 tanker crews of Plattsburgh and Grissom AFBs in the mid 1980's.

Why don't we just buy one airplane and let the pilots take turns flying it.— Calvin Coolidge, complaining about a War Department request to buy more aircraft

Man must rise above the Earth—to the top of the atmosphere and beyond—for only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives.— Socrates

You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky— Amelia Earhart

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I’ve never known an industry that can get into people's blood the way aviation does.— Robert Six, founder of Continental Airlines

Dad, I left my heart up there.— Francis Gary Powers

To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly is everything.— Otto Lilienthal

Aeronautics was neither an industry nor a science. It was a miracle.— Igor Sikorsky

The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul.— Sir Walter Alexander Raleigh

Flying makes me feel like a sex maniac in a whorehouse with a stack of $20 bills.— Pancho Barnes

To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.— anon

Anyone who's not interested in model airplanes must have a screw loose somewhere.—Paul MacCready

They shall mount up with wings as eagles.— Isaiah 40:31

Whether outwardly or inwardly, whether in space or time, the farther we penetrate the unknown, the vaster and more marvelous it becomes.— Charles A. Lindbergh

The Wright brothers flew through the smoke screen of impossibility.— Dorothea Brande

The bluebird carries the sky on his back.— Henry David Thoreau

The philosopher is Nature's pilot. And there you have our difference: to be in hell is to drift: to be in heaven is to steer.— George Bernard Shaw

Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly.— Batman costume warning label, Wal-Mart, 1995

The very existence of aviation is proof that man, given the will, has the capacity to accomplish deeds that seem impossible.— Eddie Rickenbacker

Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I could stand.— Stephen Coonts

Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air, as if any other kind of time isn't worth noting. — Michael Parfit

The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.— Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche.

No need to teach an eagle to fly.— Greek Proverb

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.— Derek Robinson

Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.— Baron Manfred von Richthofen.

Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder.—Eddie' Rickenbacker

The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down.— Chuck Yeager

Yea though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no evil ... for I fly the biggest, baddest, meanest, fastest motherfrakker in the whole damn valley.— Anon

It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.— USAF Manual

Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.-anon

If we are what we eat, then some pilots should eat more chicken.-anon

An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.— Len Morgan

It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others.— Publilius Syrus

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.— Franklin P. Jones

There's no such thing as a natural-born pilot.— Chuck Yeager

The only time an aircraft has too much fuel on board is when it is on fire.— Sir Charles Kingsford Smith

Never fly the 'A' model of anything.— Ed Thompson

The greater the difficulty the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests.— Epicurus

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one!— Gerald R. Massie,

It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds.— Aesop, Fables

If you want to grow old as a pilot, you’ve got to know when to push it, and when to back off.— Chuck Yeager

Never fly in the same cockpit with someone braver than you.— Richard Herman Jr

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs.— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines

The thing I miss about Air Force One is they don't lose my luggage.— President George Bush Sr

No one expects Braniff to go broke. No major U.S. carrier ever has.— The Wall Street Journal, 30 July 1980

It takes nerves of steel to stay neurotic.— Herb Kelleher

In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.— Wilbur Wright

What is the cause of most aviation accidents:
Usually it is because someone does too much too soon, followed very quickly by too little too late.— Steve Wilson

There is no problem so complex that it cannot simply be blamed on the pilot.— Dr Earl Weiner

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error.— John Kenneth Galbraith

The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.— Cornelius Tactitus

We triumph without glory when we conquer without danger.— Pierre Corneille

A little mountain will kill you just as dead as a big one if you fly into it.— Stephen Coonts

On the occasion of every accident that befalls you, remember to turn to yourself and inquire what power you have for turning it to use.— Epictetus

If you need it and haven’t got it, you’ll never need it again.— Lindberg on parachutes

We have no effective screening methods to make certain pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA

Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease.—Sergei Sikorsky

Never Feel Sorry For Anyone Who Owns an Airplane. —Tina Marie

One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar. —Helen Keller

There are only two emotions in a plane: boredom and terror. —Orson Welles

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. —St. Augustine

You define a good flight by negatives: you didn't get hijacked, you didn't crash, you didn't throw up, you weren't late, you weren't nauseated by the food. So you're grateful. —Paul Theroux

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.—Isaac Asimov

Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you ask of life? —Lindbergh

There is no excuse for an airplane unless it will fly fast!—Roscoe Turner

Up here with the song of the engine and the air whispering on my face as the sunlight and shadows play upon the banking, wheeling wings, I am completely, vibrantly alive.—Stephen Coonts

Flying is hypnotic and all pilots are willing victims to the spell.—Ernest K. Gann

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute.—Gil Stern

We will either find a way, or make one.—Hannibal

O! for a horse with wings! —William Shakespeare

He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying. —Friedrich Nietzsche

Falling hurts least those who fly low. —Chinese Proverb

Man is flying too fast for a world that is round. Soon he will catch up with himself in a great rear end collision. —James Thurber

No matter how high a bird can fly, it still has to look for food on the ground. —Danish Prov

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.—Leonardo da Vinci

It only takes five years to go from rumor to standard operating procedure.— Dick Markgraf

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.— G. K. Chesteron,

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new—Albert Einstein

Sometimes mistaken assertions can make for great quotes; e.g.:

"It is apparent to me that the possibilities of the aeroplane, which two or three years ago were thought to hold the solution to the [flying machine] problem, have been exhausted, and that we must turn elsewhere."
- Thomas Edison, 1895

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"The demonstration that no possible combination of known substances, known forms of machinery, and known forms of force can be united in a practicable machine by which men shall fly for long distances through the air, seems to the writer as complete as it is possible for the demonstration of any physical fact to be."
- astronomer S. Newcomb,

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."
- W. Somerset Maugham

:wink2:

Back