Beaumont, KS 2022

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
On our way back from OshKosh, we stopped at the charming Beaumont Hotel in Beaumont KS.

You can call and get reservations though the online system does not seem to be working. Restaurant only open on the weekends presently.

We landed on the grass strip and taxied up the road, dutifully stopping at the stop sign, to the parking area right in front of the hotel.

NOTE for pilots - the southern 600 feet of the strip have about a 15% grade up to the north. Don't try to 'land on the numbers'.

IMG_4950%203.jpeg

The Frisco Line, as depicted on the water tower, was originally a railroad that was supposed to go from St. Louis to San Fransisco. Never got close, but did have an important role in hauling freight from St. Louis over the watershed to Wichita. Beaumont became a town because this is the high point along the line.

IMG_4954%203.jpeg

Inside the main lobby of the Beaumont Hotel. We were actually the only people in the place after hours during the week.

IMG_4957%203.jpeg

We had a very nice room with this porch area out on the front of the hotel.

IMG_4959%203.jpeg

This airplane, which is parked outside by the water tower, was landed here some years back and left.

IMG_4958%203.jpeg

It has an odd history and was owned at one point by Barry Seal, the pilot in the film 'American Made' who ran drugs for the CIA.

IMG_4962%203.jpeg

The following morning had rain and my son elected not to get up. We left late and were dodging some weather across Texas, shown here. About this time I saw on the FIS-B weather that there was a line of thunderstorms across our route near Albuquerque and the usual one west of the Mogollon Rim in Arizona. We diverted and stayed the night in Amarillo TX.

Last edited:
Great report! I’m glad I started my day reading it instead of the news. Also found the Barry Seal story interesting. I’d totally forgotten about him.

As a reluctant right-seater, I enjoyed seeing your pictures and “flying” without leaving earth.

Back