Boy scout leaders 'help' out at national park, destroy million YO rock formation

If they had built a multimillion dollar dam that submerged that rock and several thousand acres around it, they'd have been feted for the new recreational lake and electric power generated.

If they had knocked it over to make way for a roadway, they'd have been applauded for providing access to a scenic area.

It isn't that hard to make similar rock formations. But the perceived quality is in the time it took to form, not the formation alone. The meaning of life is entirely one of perception of an otherwise inanimate universe. People are angry at the metaphorical toppling of their perceptions about the place of human actions in the universe. The rock would have fallen of its own accord eventually. Humans have a hard time seeing themselves as just another aspect of that inanimate universe.

I was going somewhere with this post but I think my train of thought has toppled off its rails. Dang.

JeffDG said:
As someone who comes from out West (Saskatchewan and Alberta), I have come to a simple definition of "Mountain":

A mountain must have a tree line. If there are trees on top, it's a hill. People here in east TN get all flustered at that, what with the Great Smoky "Mountains" right here (I call them hills)
The tree line is affected by the latitude, climate, and the direction of the face, among other things. By your definition a fifty foot high hill somewhere north of the arctic circle is a mountain.

Back