Busted class B......

Piper18O

I talked to a pilot yesterday at a fly-in who told me about an incident that happened to him a number of years ago. He was flying VFR on an airway that was going to clip the edge of Class B airspace. He was receiving flight following and was talking to Tampa approach. He said he wasn't thinking about the upcoming class B and hadn't received a clearance through it when the controller told him to fly 10 degrees left for skydiver activity. He did so, and then later started thinking that he more than likely had clipped the Bravo and the controller let him off the hook by giving him the instructions that put him further into class B. Nothing ever became of the incident. The question I have is, did the instruction by the controller to turn 10 degrees left actually give him clearance into the Bravo even though he didn't hear the words "cleared into Bravo"? Thoughts?

sarangan said:
I have come across some controllers who are a little loose on the class B clearance language.
This used to happen a lot in the Phoenix class Bravo. They would provide instructions clearly going through the bravo but no clearance. It would bug my son who was training at the time. They seem to be better about it recently.

Back