Landing with no Radio in Class “C” Airspace

Bob Brown

What is the proper procedure for landing at a class “C” airport if you have communicated with approach control, are lawfully in the class C airspace, but have not been handed off to the tower, and you lose your radios as you are approaching to enter downwind to the active runway? Would you please cite the applicable FARs for authority. The FAA and I have a very big disagreement.

Thanks.

I will be very interested to hear how this turns out.

I can see @Brad Z ‘s point that if the timing of the radio transmissions and the flight track show the failure occurred and then the plane entered Class C, this might be considered a violation by a strict reading by the FAA.

I am curious what the FAA really wants a pilot to do under these circumstances. I can see that they may not want NorDo planes flying into controlled airspace. Do they generally consider loss of radio a threat to the safety of flight and worthy of an emergency? (if the transponder had been set, then the argument that the pilot was declaring would be stronger, but I gather it was not).

Obviously an aviation attorney can advise on prior interpretation letters and administrative cases which might apply. Of course, this may be one of these not previously adjudicated somewhat nebulous situations from a regulatory perspective. Then the OP will have to decide if he has the time, resources and stomach to be the test case.

Back