CFI style not helping, but unsure if I should switch

anonymous

I have been a little unlucky in my first rounds of flight lessons. First CFI I had was perfect for me, I was able to understand information he gave me, and his corrections, and he answered my questions even if most likely some of them were "dumb". He had to move on though, and stopped instructing at our club. Next was a person that had a schedule that conflicted almost totally with when I could fly. Had one lesson with him. Then came a temporary CFI that I really could work well with but he was booked up.
So my CFI. Very nice guy on the ground. A very experienced and super respected pilot in our school. But he stresses me out, and gives me the feeling I cannot do anything right, while still giving me good grades on debriefing. I respect him totally, and know he is an excellent pilot.

I'm wondering though if I can work with him. I find myself dreading the day when I go to fly, and even flying has been less enjoyable. I can't put my finger on it, he doesn't shout, but he "hacks", or reacts very strongly with corrections. This is not in critical phases of flight like landing, this is just in general. He may not even mean it. Even just checklist, there is kind of a "snippy" attitude, I really respect doing checklists, but some of the points are written badly to the point where it can be confusing what is meant. The few times I tried to get clarification in the first lessons "does this mean X or Y?" he just answered very quickly with "just do the checklist!"

In flight corrections also, and I don't know if there is a purpose, but with maneuvers I need to take it in steps, get used to the basics, then combine them. Sometimes he will just repeat a command, and I realize I have been gripping the yoke really hard...I back off and ease up, but it is a feeling like I can't do anything right, or that I'm just hopeless.

He is so well respected, and I am not sure if I should be able to "suck it up" and take instruction, but I cannot shake this feeling. We have some communication problems, even now to setting up a new lesson, ambiguous answers when I was asked to "send me some dates when you can fly". For all I know maybe he wants to drop me. That would be ok.

I just don't know when to broach the subject (after we finally get a lesson?) or if I should let him know that I need it a little calmer in the cockpit to be able to take in the information. Right now I feel he throws so much on me all at once I never get a chance to "center" and relax and "get it". Even when flying to the practice area, plane trimmed, keeping course, I am just waiting for a quick command, and expected to do it perfectly right away. I'm not there yet.

Up until now, it had been going well. Also, I think he is very impatient. He gives me information and commands very quickly, sometimes I need to let information sink in or ask a little more to understand. I don't feel comfortable anymore doing that.

I have to do something, I don't think realistically that I can go the distance with him unless he can temper his manner or style of teaching. I know he has a lot to teach.

The other thing is, when I ask questions I sometimes get an answer, other times not, or it is dismissed. And then too there are things like preflight check. Our plane is old, and I have been taught to really do the preflight. If I find a ding on a wing, there may be a sticker next to it saying it is "reported" and has been looked at. But when I find a similar one with no sticker, am told "ah, that looks like it's been there for a while".

Independent of any questions about his techniques, I would suggest just switching. You can explain that it just doesn’t seem to be working for you, and don’t need to provide any explanation at all. Sometimes the match just isn’t right for a reason no one can quite put their finger on.

Back