Check for those birds!

Banjo33

This post is as much a gripe as it is a warning. Perfect weather today, so I put myself on the schedule at the local flight school. Finally made it out to the plane (an hour late b/c the Manager was late), but found the fuel tank nearly empty. After calling for the fuel truck, I elected to go ahead and finish the preflight. I've made it a habit to lightly tap the empennage with an open hand as I walk around the airplane. Lo and behold, on the first tap, I hear banging coming from tail. Suddenly, two birds fly out by the rudder. I looked inside the tail and could see straw. So I tell the Mgr that birds are nesting inside his airplane. He hands me a piece of wire that resembles a clothes hangar with a hook on the end and tells me to fish out the straw. After an hour of digging, I think I pretty much got it all out. He told me that he'd cleaned one out yesterday, I'm doubtful he got it all out though. Anyway, as I finished, the fuel truck pulled up (an hour after calling it). It was too bad though, as after 2 1/2 hours after my scheduled departure time, my morning had passed and I needed to get back home to the family. Long story short, I've added "look deep inside the tail" to my preflight inspection...just in case.

This pic shows about 3/4 of the straw. A bunch was blown across the ramp from the breeze.

Marauder said:
It is amazing how much they can haul in and in a very short amount of time.
proxy-97-gif.316

Attachments

• proxy.97.GIF
    proxy.97.GIF
    100.9 KB · Views: 109
Back