Checkride coming up soon - slow flight

MadseasoN

I'm expecting to get the green light to schedule my checkride within the next couple weeks or so. However, I have something that I'd like opinions on from you guys. Maybe you've experienced this and can tell me how to you've dealt with it. I fly a Piper PA-28-161.

Slow Flight without flaps - not sure why but I'm still nervous doing SF (55-65 KIAS) with 0 flaps. Also simulated engine out while circling to land [no flaps]. I watched the instructor do this and bank up to 30 degrees at 70KIAS. I've also seen a 30d bank turning from base to final. I can't get comfortable with that bank angle at such a low airspeed. Thoughts?

Jaybird180 said:
I interpret that as 1 knot above stall speed. Am I misinterpreting? If this is the case, my CFI demonstrated 50kt slow flight isn't quite there yet....think I'll work on this next solo flight.
My reading (or paraphrasing) of the PTS "Maneuvering during slow flight" task says airspeed must be within 0 to 10 kts of "an immediate stall." As I understand it, the stall horn of most airplanes used for training sounds within ~10 kts of stall, so if the stall horn is on you are likely meeting the PTS standard. Just keep it blaring and the speed near the middle of the range as you can and I presume you are OK. (Caveat: I'm still a student also.)

whifferdill said:
In theory...but you'd cook your cylinders pretty quickly doing this for an extended period considering the low speed and high angle of attack which will not get sufficient airflow into the engine compartment for proper cooling.

Get some spin training. Aftwards, you won't bat an eye at slow flight.
(The C-152 I'm training in is placarded "no spins" because of a rudder AD.) According to the AOPA ASF, it appears spin training would provide direct experience that recover in anything less than 1000 ft is exceedingly unlikely, so if anything it should result in a greater fear of spin entry (and therefore stalls) at low speeds in the pattern:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/topics/stall_spin.html

jesse said:
It's been a few years since I've done it (because of that damn AD) but I'm pretty sure I used to spin a 150 and recover in less than 1000 feet.
Then you were doing good; according to article I linked to:

"When proper recovery techniques are used, the one-turn spin altitude loss for both the Cessna 150 and 152 is about 1,000 feet, taking between ¼ and ½ turn."

whifferdill said:
Take some spin training from an experienced instructor in a suitable airplane to the point where you can calmly recover, and I guarantee you that you will not come away from this experience with greater fear. Add in upset and maybe even a little acro training, and your overall confidence and comfort level in an airplane will be noticeably greater.
I think my wallet has a morbid fear of acro training; before they moved to Florida, Steve Wolf was based out of the same airport I am now training at in Oregon, and I recall checking upset training out as something to look into after getting my certificate and was disappointed to see the cost was ~$300/hr and up:

http://www.wingoveraerobatics.com/training.html

Back