Take instrument checkride in LSA without medical?

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
As per the title, can a private pilot without a current medical take the instrument checkride in an LSA?

Such a person can act as PIC for the LSA if they have a driver’s license, so it seems like this should be feasible since it is possible to do simulated instrument flight in an LSA like a SkyCatcher.

61.23 does not seem to require a medical certificate under these circumstances nor to explicitly state that such a certificate is not required.

What do PoA members think?

I was wondering about that as well. However, 61.65 (a) (1) on applying for the instrument rating says the applicant must hold a private pilot certificate. It doesn’t say that one has to have a 3rd class or that one is exercising those privileges.

But 61.39 (a) 4 says a third class medical is needed, “if a medical certificate is required”. But that doesn’t answer if a medical certificate is required.

It strikes me this is one of those cases not specifically spelled out in the regulations. I wonder if there is a letter of interpretation on this? Sort of a narrow edge case so may not have been dealt with previously.

Practically speaking would clearly depend on what the DPE doing the exam thought.

MauleSkinner said:
Kind of like it’s not specifically spelled out in the regulations that flying as captain of a 737 on the line for Southwest requires a medical.
It’s not? Requires exercising privileges of an ATP certificate and a 1st class medical, doesn’t it?

Back