Craigslist Deal

steingar said:
Depending on who did the restoration, that could be a real steal. I'd be looking at it if I didn't have a Cherokee already.
Is it the new engine or the general restoration that makes it potentially a bargain?

steingar said:
Both. Again depends. Who did the restoration? A Mattituck engine is worth more to me than a shade tree mechanic. I imagine "total restoration" means new paint and interior, but that again could be worth it. Who did the paint, what did they shoot? Who did the interior, what did they use? Could be a really good deal with all that.
OK - always good to know some of the criteria others use for judging these things. I've been casually looking (online ads only) at what kind of used IFR equipped Cherokee 140s are available for under $30k. Ideally built 1969 or later. Obviously ads don't say a lot, but my own criteria would focus on airframe soundness (I can't tell at all from the ads; TTAF doesn't seem likely to tell me much, or would it?) and engine (anything under 1500 SMOH and overhauled at least since around 1995.) Nice interior and avionics is lower priority to me.

Not sure if the above criteria are reasonable basis for initial screening. I do know that on price alone, the airplane referenced in this thread would screen out - however, $30k is moderately arbitrary screening point in the sense that it is my most comfortable initial cost based on what I suspect is available. When I set the screening point to $40k I see more options, but since I see possibilities under $30k that seem to meet my criteria, I have to ask whether it makes sense to up the price range - or whether the aircraft I think are plausible possibilities under $30k are really all dogs.

Back