Crosswind landing Technique--right after touchdown

spiderweb

Trying to refine these for the comm. Whatever method one uses down final, the actual landing is on the upwind wheel. At that exact moment in time, the yoke is into the wind to some degree, and the rudder is opposite so as to line up with the centerline. Next few seconds are where my questions lie:

1) How soon to lower the nose? I always lower it smoothly (only holding it off as long as possible IF this is a soft-field); but more promptly if it is gusty.

2) Once the nosewheel is down, how quickly should one change rudder pressure? (Assume a centering cam.) I was taught that the moment the nose is on the ground, "steer with the feet." Of course, nothing violent, and of course, increase yoke into the wind as airspeed slows. It becomes a fast taxi.

Thanks for helping me improve!

(I went out for several crosswind landings two days ago, and I really enjoyed the challenge of a strong but gusty, 90-degree crosswind.

spiderweb said:
I knew it was coming at some point! What is the price of tires these days?
Well ... since you asked:
http://www.ercoupeparts.com/2010-11 Skyport Catalog.pdf

Somewhere between $62.50 and $276 each for an Ercoupe. How many hours of cross-wind landings do they endure? And how does that compare versus the cost of hours of rudder dancing practice in a plane that needs a rudder to fix the designer's mistakes? Beats me! :wink2:

Back to your questions - I don't know the answer to them either! About 10 days ago I was practicing crosswind landings in 90 degree 15 kt cross winds in a C-152 with my instructor and I simply did whatever seemed to be needed; I adjusted my rudder to whatever kept me moving down the runway.

spiderweb said:
What a cool catalog! How much time do you have in an Ercoupe?
Well, I talked to fellow fueling one up at the local airport one day - does that count? (His had rudder pedals - the woos!) And I've sometimes flown the C-152 I train in as if it didn't have rudder pedals - does that count? :wink2: Otherwise no time.

Back