Definitely doesn't pay to be an Italian scientist!

steingar

Now they've convicted seismologists of manslaughter for not accurately predicting an earthquake, something that can't be accurately predicted in the first place. Story.

Now they've convicted seismologists of manslaughter for not accurately predicting an earthquake, something that can't be accurately predicted in the first place. Story.
While I think the conviction is Bologna (OK, baloney) I'll play devil's advocate and point out that the conviction is because they not only said the risk was nil, but used wording that implied that prediction was reasonably accurate. Quite a bit different than later claiming their prediction should not have been taken as accurate.

I believe the prosecution's case was that the scientists literally said that people could safely "sleep quietly in their beds." Thus it doesn't matter to what extent science can predict earthquakes, but whether anyone in authority should be legally allowed to issue or imply near-certain claims one way or the other.

Old Geek said:
It will be a very cold day in hell before another scientist forecasts or claims to be able to forecast an earthquake. Too bad.
Scientists need to stick to public forecasts of things that are more certain, such as anthropomorphic climate change.

(Runs for cover... :wink2:)

Back