Disclose Past Medical Condition that Guarantees Medical Deferral/Risks Denial?

anonymousposter

I live in the US full time, but recently traveled to a foreign country. While in this country, I became ill and was hospitalized for several weeks with pericarditis. Fortunately, I made a full recovery.

I am in my mid-20s and am otherwise healthy and active. My dream is to fly in the airlines for a career, and I wanted to get a first-class medical soon. However, I figured my hospitalization would probably make that difficult. Sure enough, in looking at the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners, a past diagnosis of pericarditis means a medical of any class must be deferred. This website (https://flightphysical.com/medical-exam/heart ) says that certification is unlikely unless information is highly favorable to the applicant.

As far as I know, no one in the United States will ever know I was hospitalized in this foreign country, nor what I was hospitalized for. I don’t want to lie on a federal form, but I’m terrified of possibly ending my dream before it even began by telling the truth. So the question is:

When it comes to Item 18 on my medical application, do I tell the truth and say I have been diagnosed with heart trouble, or do I lie and say I haven’t?

If you think I should tell the truth, should I still apply for the first class medical or should I instead apply for a third class medical (I’m assuming that gets approved quicker) to get in the air ASAP? Should I schedule a consultation with an AME first, even though it would inevitably be deferred? I am still in the foreign country for a few more weeks - should I get the ball rolling with an AME here, or wait until I’m back stateside?

If you think I should lie, say I get my first class medical, and I’m able to make this a career and one day find myself flying for a US regional and on the verge of applying to major airlines in the US. Does your answer change when I mention that I also plan on applying to the flagship carrier of this foreign country? Presumably, when applying for a medical in this country, I’d have to tell the truth about my past hospitalization. Could this somehow come back to jeopardize my flying career in the US?

Thanks in advance.

As others have stated, some temporary frustration at this point and feeling a bit of despair is understandable. But Dr. Bruce, one of the real expert AMEs in hard cases, says all is not lost. Take cheer from that.

Take some time to digest this shock and get over the frustration.

I bet this is possibly on the low side for special issuances. Maybe $5k and a 6 month wait and you are done and can eventually get a regular issuance after some monitoring.

If you are keen to fly in the meantime you can start in gliders and get a lot of good experience without a medical. You are young with most of your life ahead of you. Don’t give up on your dreams that quickly.

Perhaps see http://faamed.info for some more detailed information about how to do all that.

ETA: you made the right decision not to try and lie. That speaks well to your character and ability to face up to the realities of the situation.

Back