Discordant heros....I say a societal problem

Let'sgoflying!

I was at the Mountain Home airshow all weekend and had the great privilege of spending it with a man I have immense admiration for. He flew in three wars, starting out in the P-40 then P-47, P-51, then the F-86, several others jets including the F-100, ending his distinguished career with the F-4. He has many combat accomplishments and is well-decorated. He willingly shared many of his stories about his flying, and filled in so much info for us during the airshow - but he does not have a bragging bone in his body. Polite, intelligent, extremely likeable guy.

It just struck me very odd that few people know this hero and society offers him such little recognition. The incongruence which I note in the title became apparent to me as we stood in the hotel lobby today with him waiting for our ride. A has-been rapper who wasted most of his life on drugs and was in jail for attempted murder and other things was fawned all over by a at least a dozen folks who wanted his autograph and to have their picture taken with him. Yet the real hero stood beside me, ignored.
What are we teaching our children??

Direct impact. We cannot help but notice those that have a direct impact on our own life and emotions. No matter how brave or competent or accomplished, if they have no direct impact on your life, unless they are brought to your attention you will not recognize them as "heroes" or influential.

If the man you admired wrote a book about his stories, and it became popular because it grabbed at the soul and influenced others, he too would be fawned over.

Not sure that what you observed indicates any problem with society.

Back