DME died - do NOT recommend GPS

murphey

Narco DME. Finally, after 50 years, gave up. Display works, but none of the stuff I need. No Distance to wherever, no speed either. The shop that fixed it 10-12 years ago closed when the two owners/electronics experts retired. Is there anyone left who can fix this thing?

I repeat - do NOT go the GPS route. I don't have an extra $15K at the moment (or in near future) to do it right.

murphey said:
Hm....I did an oil change a couple weeks ago, and today was the first chance to run the engine and check everything, then went flying. Never considered the antenna. Good reason to go back tomorrow, clean the antenna to make sure, then go fly again.
Does this slide into a tray? If so, have you cleaned the connectors in the tray. Seems a long shot given your description, but it is cheap to try if it has a tray.

David Megginson said:
In Canada, Radio Shack sold out a while ago (well over 10 years) to a chain called The Source, which is now owned by Bell. For a long time, The Source was exactly the same as the old Radio Shack, with walls of little electronic components, etc. There's a tiny bit of that left, but it's more about mobile phones and gadgets now. That's probably what would have happened to the Radio Shack mall (etc.) retail stores in the U.S., too, if the chain hadn't gone bankrupt. People just don't solder transisters and capacitors onto circuit boards much any more.
That is what was happening to RS in the US. Fewer and fewer components and more and more cell phones, etc.

You could still pick up resistors and connectors though. So I miss them.

Back