Effectiveness of Anti Depressants

Before I start, let's ignore any impact that this may have on a medical. Assume that I don't care if I can get a medical anymore for the rest of my life, even though I've held one for over a decade. This is strictly a question of effectiveness for those who've been on antidepressants.

Background (I'm leaving out some details here intentionally since I don't want to be easily identified): I've been living with depression basically my entire life. Never diagnosed, never treated. I did see a therapist for a while. I've just dealt with it myself never abusing any substances. I've always been strongly against the use of anti depressants and have never considered it, until now.

The reality of my current situation is I've been miserable virtually every single day of my life for close to a decade. Standard family stuff. It's not going to get better for a long time, if ever (although the Covid situation hasn't helped). I don't see therapy as something that will work because that involves trying to solve internal conflicts and get past struggles. This isn't an internal conflict or struggles, it's just the reality of what is my life. Talking to someone won't solve it, and frankly I don't want to go through the probably wasted effort of trying to find a therapist who's a good fit and pay for/commit to regular sessions, which would still impact my medical anyway.

Since my issue is situational, the obvious answer would be to change the situation. It's not going to happen, because to change my situation would require other changes that I'm not willing to do and would create their own (much greater) problems, both for me and more importantly for others I care about.

That leaves me with two options: continue to be miserable, or accept that maybe some kind of anti-depressant could help me. I've always been against this as I've considered it akin to illegal drug use (something else that I'm strongly against). And, even though I don't care about holding a medical, it's effectively a one-way ticket.

One friend of mine who struggles with depression too has advised against use of anti depressants as they've not worked well for her. However her situation is very different and more of her depression has to do with internal conflicts rather than general situation. Given how many people we have coming on here asking for various anti-depressant advice and getting a medical, my questions are:

1) What did anti-depressants do for/to you? (positive negative)
2) Do you think it was overall helpful or did what you expected? (ignoring aspects relating to getting or keeping a medical certificate)
3) Do you think they helped you improve your life situation?

I've held a medical for a long time, still have a valid one. But I'm willing to give up flying if that helps to put me in a better spot.

Thanks for (helpful) insight.

The best results with anti-depressants are obtained combining them with therapy of some type. So maybe start the therapy now and see how it goes. Then discuss with the therapist adding the meds.

Of course, if you are presently feeling suicidal or that you might hurt yourself, seek medical help immediately. But it didn’t sound like that was the situation from the post.

Back