Experimental AB a Thing Of The Past?

Geico266

There is a proposal in the Aircraft Rule Making Committee to create a new "Non Type Certified Class" for small aircraft to allow them to use non TSOed or PMAed parts to save costs. We have seen this in the experimental world for decades. Starters that cost $1,500 for a Cessna cost an experimental aircraft owner $300, and it is the exact same starter, as an example. Garmin panel upgrades cost certified aircraft owners $50,000?, experimental panel upgrades $12,000, and on and on. The purpose of this new class would be to reduce operating expenses for small A/C owners.

Another proposal is to do away with the often confusing and misunderstood ( by the public and most pilots) Experimental AB class and rename it to "Non Commercial AB", doing away with the word "Experimental".

Both of these changes are welcome benifits to small aircraft owners.

I do not know how to post a PDF. If you do and will post it to this thread let me know I will send it to you and you can post it. Thanks!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Who is making the proposal? I do not see any identification on the pdf. Just wondering where it is coming from.
By using the "File" -> "Properties" menu selection under Adobe Reader, it says "scott fohrman" is the author.

A google search for various word sequences in the document didn't yield any hits at all for me, suggesting the document is still being privately distributed.

Would be helpful if the author(s) would sign and date the document.

Tom-D said:
I believe it would be a death blow to many FBOs and repair shops in this struggling industry. and the A&P-IAs would be basically unemployed.
Much like auto repair shops have all gone belly up because anyone is allowed to do their own maintenance and repair on their own cars?

Rotor&Wing said:
Flaunting ( even recommending ) non compliance on a public web board is not only foolish, it's idiotic.
Yes sir. :rolleyes2:

(Egyptian authorities shut down Internet access for most of their country in order to suppress coordination on Facebook and Twitter of the 2011 Egyptian protests that turned into a revolution. It took one post by Rotor&Wing to shut down any attempt to get the ball rolling on civil disobediance against FAA regulations. I'm impressed by how quickly and easily it was managed - and saddened.)

Rotor&Wing said:
The intent of my post was to keep someone from following the foolish advice being disseminated on the thread.
All civil disobedience may be characterized as foolish. But you also labeled it idiotic; yet it is not.

Everskyward said:
And how can you possibly compare this to the situation in Egypt?
With respect to the Egyptian uprising: I was noting the effect of a single post on this thread, not on the effect a change to an airplane might have on its resale value - or any other aspect of changes to an aircraft not allowed by FAA regulations.

Rotor&Wing said:
Your opinion, nothing more.
Hmmm - you may have a point there; the result of the Egyptian uprising is that the military there is in control, not the people who risked their lives in protest.

Still, sometimes some protests turn violent and succeed in their goals for a while, as happened in the British American colonies a few years back.

Everskyward said:
You really thought there was going to be a civil uprising with thousands of people putting unauthorized parts in airplanes?
No. I thought that Rotor&Wing was being overly pompous and superior for someone who not only doesn't provide his real name, but uses pictures of Hugh Laurie on his profile and avatar. Not sure what that is all about. Plenty of hubris and not enough humility in the way he composes his advice. It is sometimes said that some people mature while others merely grow old as the years pass, and you can probably guess which of those I think applies to him.

With regards to thousands of people and their airplanes: in my humble opinion the operational difference between "authorized" and "unauthorized" parts is primarily a matter concerning the psychology of crowds and rarely a matter of engineering. I think Wanttaja posted to this thread enough of a summary of the statistics to essentially establish that.

Back