Very Nice Day For Flying, Except for One Thing

Aeric

I went for a flight today for lunch with a friend to a non-towered airport on the CA coast (KHAF). Beautiful weather which is not all that common with the coastal fog. So I set up to cross rwy30 overhead to enter the right downwind. A Mooney announces that he is established on the right downwind and I reply that I have him in sight and that I will cross mid-field and do a 180 to enter the 45. He replies that he has me in sight as well. I cross mid-field, do the 180, get on the 45, enter the downwind and follow him, all the while announcing my position on every leg. He turns base, then final, and as I look to my right to confirm that it is time to turn base (it is, he's on short final), another Mooney (I believe, he NEVER said a word on the CTAF) swoops in from my 6 then 5 then 4, making what can be politely described as a short-approach. I was kinda surprised...
This guy made exactly zero position calls on the CTAF and swoops in "ahead" of me and actually touches down before the guy I was following exited the active.
While he probably knows how to fly an airplane quite well and is probably very familiar with the airport, I think that this is exactly what my CFI said about there being a few "cowboys" on weekends at this airstrip and to be really careful.
My question: What would some of you have said on the CTAF, if anything?
I held my tongue and simply made a more deliberate position call as I was turning base and then on final.
This incident didn't detract from an otherwise fine day of flying.:)

Did he ever make any radio calls?
If not, either his radio wasn't working or (more likely) he had it tuned to the wrong frequency. He may not have seen or heard you or the other Mooney and was making his own position calls on the wrong frequency.

Back