FAA medical and OCD

Zep86

Hello,
It's been a few years since I was in the seat of any aircraft and my medical has expired.

I possessed a class 3 medical and would like to renew it, but it seems there may be a plethora of hurdles ahead.

About a year ago I sought treatment for repetitive intrusive thoughts and was given the Dx of OCD and Zoloft as the med. I also sought ERP therapy.

I have been off the medicine for about six months with the MDs approval and he was fine with my next appoint being spaced at six months, which will be in March. He doesn't seem to be concerned with the severity of the dx

I realize that the medical form asks if I sought psychiatric care and I know that SSRIs are a touchy subject with the FAA. When I asked the MD about treatment impacting my ability to PIC, he didn't hesitate to let me know that it will not interfere with PIC abilities, but he's also not an AME lol. He even said he'd write a letter to the FAA saying my OCD theme and type wouldn't impact my abilities to operate an aircraft.

With that said, I know there's several folks here who are more knowledgeable in mental health and aviation. I would appreciate your input in regards to how I should approach this.

Fortunately Zoloft (sertraline) may be eligible for the SSRI pathway 1 if you have been off for more than 2 months. I would suggest working with one of the experienced Senior HIMS AMEs here to make this go as smoothly (in terms of time and $) as possible.

Do NOT re-apply without working it out with one of them in advance. Mistakes here can cost years or delay and $10k.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...am/ame/guide/media/SSRI Decision Path - I.pdf

Zep86 said:
Would working with an AME allow me know which evaluations the FAA will require? Will I be able to do the evaluations prior to resubmitting the actual medical certificate?
Yes, working with a competent senior HIMS AME, they normally will not submit until they are confident that you have all the ducks in a row and your application will almost certainly be successful.

Otherwise you are better off not applying as you can still possibly fly light sport or use Basic Med. Can’t do those after a denied medical application.

Horizon Flight said:
My friend was prescribed Zoloft. He was diagnosed with an acute stress reaction due to son facing brain surgery. He didn’t want to take it but decided to start but now wants to quit after only 2 weeks. What happens if he does?
Firstly, confer with the prescribing physician about quitting. Depending on dose a taper may be best.

In terms of the FAA, this may qualify for SSRI pathway 1 and could be issued after documented health for 2 months. Best to work with a senior HIMS AME to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.

Back