Failed Medical - Options Advice?

ATL-Steve

Hello, all.

So, my dreams of being a pilot have been dealt a blow. I filled out all of the info for my medical and being the honest man that I am I gave them every single detail they asked for thinking nothing I mentioned would be a big deal. I was wrong.

I took some adhd drugs[prescribed :)] for about a year before discontinuing them about 6 months before applying for my medical exam. I didn't like them. I took them off and on. I stopped taking them and I take nothing to this day. However, this set off all kinds of alarms at the FAA. They wanted a bunch of documentation from my doc. I provided that. Now they want some adhd neuropsychological exam done. I had no problem with that till I found out the exam will cost me $2000 and there's no guarantee I'll get my license after that's completed anyway. Otherwise I'm in perfect health. No HBP, no substance issues, nothing.

So, keep that in mind, ladies and gentlemen, when applying for your medical in the future. I certainly don't want to promote lying to the FAA or anyone else for that matter. But it's hard to think that had I simply said nothing on my application I'd be holding a license in my hand as we speak. Oh, and added bonus, even if I decide 10 years from now that I want to readdress getting my PPL, I'll still have to have that neuro test done. There's no statute of limitations.

So, to my question. I would like to be able to fly a plane by myself. Do I have any options? Can I still get a light sport license? Experimental planes? Or am I going to have to either plunk down $2000 for a chance at a license or give up the dream?

Any advice?

So, to my question. I would like to be able to fly a plane by myself. Do I have any options? Can I still get a light sport license? Experimental planes? Or am I going to have to either plunk down $2000 for a chance at a license or give up the dream?

Any advice?
Yes you do have a valid option - per 61.23 anyone with a glider rating with self-launch endorsement would allow you to fly gliders and self-launch (motor) gliders. Medical denial does not preclude that option (i.e. neither 61.23(a)(3) and 61.23(c)(2)(iii) apply; just 61.23(b)). One example of a lower cost motor glider that you could still fly: http://www.sonexaircraft.com/aircraft/xenos.html

Ultralights have also been mentioned, but balloons are also an option.

Lastly, since aviating is expensive anyway, consider $2000 just another part of the bill.

jjflys said:
The fact he can't do LSA now is a shame. That FAA law that says you are ok with just your DL UNLESS you fail a medical is a joke and defies all logic.

Good luck to the OP..
Their reasoning, to the extent that they have published any of it, seems to be summarized in one of their FAQ answers:"We understand that these conditions may not have been expected and may disappoint some people. That was not our intent, nor is it our intent that affected persons would have to maintain an airman medical certificate if they would rather use their current and valid U.S. driver’s license to medically qualify as a sport pilot.

We ultimately concluded that, in those cases where the FAA has existing knowledge of medical ineligibility, we need the affected person to address it and, hopefully have it resolved. To meet the intent of the rule, the affected person should apply for reconsideration of their eligibility. In some denial cases, applicants simply may not have provided enough information to the FAA or may not have supplied information that the FAA may have requested. In certain other denial cases, applicants may not have exercised their appeal rights, which could have led to certification in some cases.

The FAA wants to see as many pilots as possible take advantage of this exciting new rule and looks forward to working with individuals seeking to exercise sport pilot privileges. We also intend to work with EAA, AOPA, and other industry groups toward that end."

("Page Last Modified: 07/20/05 16:01 EDT")
Full context:
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response3/

After seven years of allegedly working with EAA, AOPA, and others, they sure haven't shown much progress. The FAA appears to be quite comfortable with where things are and has no incentive to change it.

Jeff Oslick said:
I'd be very interested to see the percentage of folks, who were initially diagnosed ADD/ADHD via pencil-whip method, that pass the formal testing years later (without drugs, of course).
According to this article, one study estimated on the order of 20% ADHD diagnosis were incorrect:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100817103342.htm

While looking for those stats, I found this article that suggests that sleep disordered breathing may cause a fair number of false ADHD diagnosis:
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2012/06/20/does-your-child-really-have-adhd

Back