Flight planning brain trust question

Timbeck2

Tucson (KTUS) to Rocky Mountain Metro (KBJC)

Never been there, just in the preliminary stage of planning it out. Cherokee 140 and 1 planned fuel stop along the way. Not the most experienced pilot so I'm asking you guys with multiple log books, or big brains how would you fly it VFR and when would be the best time of year?

I have flown essentially the reverse trip, both times in my 180 HP Cardinal. Once in June and once in October.

The June trip involved flying underneath developing cumulus in the late morning and staying well away from some very powerful TS to the east. Went south to Pueblo, them through La Veta Pass and south to Los Alamos. Over the pass near 14k to maintain fair clearance and allowance for winds.

October trip was in fairly calm weather. Flew through Monarch Pass over to Blake CO for very attractively priced fuel and some lunch. Also at about 14k over the pass. That felt safer to me than La Veta with a wider pass and road below. After Blake south to 4 corners, Winslow and then home.

Of course the more conservative route is up past Santa Fe and east then through Raton Pass and north over the plains.

I like mountain flight and love the views, but it is less conservative to go through those passes. They now have cameras as well as the AWOS sites, so that helps.

Just checked and a Cherokee 140 looks like it has a service ceiling of around 11k. I don’t remember if Tim’s plane is upgraded beyond this. But with a ceiling of 11k, I think the easterly route over Raton Pass (at 7834’) is likely safer.

Back