Getting started at 14?

szamora

Hello!
I'm 14 years old, and I've always been interested in aviation. I haven't exactly been able to pursue these interests for a multitude of reasons, though.
I've done a little research, and maybe the first step would be to go for an intro flight to get a feel for being at the controls. It won't be easy to convince my parents, since, well, I'm their firstborn and whatnot and they're a little protective (meaning that it takes impossible amounts of time to convince them to let me do anything because everything interesting also happens to be potentially dangerous). So. That'll be fun.
Another thing is that, being stereotypical immigrant parents, they're very focused on my academic career. I don't want them to think that my grades will drop or that I won't get into Harvard because I'll be dedicating more time to flight training.
I read online, and it says that people can fly gliders solo at age 14, fly planes solo at 16, and get their private pilot license at 17 (correct me if I'm wrong).
So, say I'm able to do the impossible and convince my parents to enroll me in flight lessons. When do I begin-- right after COVID or after 15? I also don't want flight lessons to clash with my driving lessons, which I'll be having next year. Learning to drive is probably more urgent than learning to fly, but still... I'd love to fly so much :D
EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to add-- we live in North Carolina

How'd you get started? Do you have any recommendations on how to begin? Am I crazy for wanting to start now?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! Have a great holiday season!

The SSA has a fair number of scholarships to cover the cost of initial glider pilot training for young people.

Definitely check it out.

Rgbeard said:
But trust me, you'll be a better pilot if you begin with Gliders, and transition to power later.
My advice to new pilots now is always to consider starting in gliders. The reason is that gliders really teach you how a set of wings and controls behave in the air, without the distractions of power and other items.

It is how the Wright Brothers first taught themselves to fly in a controlled manner before they added power -- and one of the main reasons they were successful where others failed. It also emphasizes the use of the rudder, which many pilots starting in tricycle gear aircraft don't use often enough.

And who knows, you might grow to enjoy soaring for it's own sake. It is a very elegant sport -

pmanton said:
Are Civil Air Patrol Cadets still around? I got started in the Cadets in the 50's. Soloed at 16 in 54, Private at 17 in 55 and I'm still flying today. I had stick time in L-16s before I started taking lessons.

Paul
Salome, AZ.
Yes. There were a bunch of them doing some regimented sort of activity at KFFZ just a month ago near my tie-down.

Back