Getting started...

Nub_Pilot

I've always want to get my PPL (25+ years now) and have a couple friend with theirs, but was worried about not being able to pass the medical due to some of my conditions. I talked with a long time commercial pilot and she stated that there may be some hoops to jump through in getting the medical, but typically they will work with you to ensure you are in a good medical state to safely pilot a plane.

Now to my main question:
I am based out of CT, but am on work travel to VA for a couple months and would like to try and start some training. I know it can be difficult to start with one training center and then transfer to another later one, but I am looking at conducted some online ground school (Sporty's Learn to Fly Course) which could allow me to complete the written prior to returning home. Once I return I can start the flight portion of the training and it might save me some money in the long run.

I have taken a lot of online college courses, so I understand what would be required for this online training course.

Is this an effective path with my situation to be able to start some level of training and does anyone have any experience with this course in preparation to the written exam?

I am also working on starting my medical while I'm on travel also, but would have some limitation if documentation would be required for my forms. I assume the medical can be completed at ether location, but wanted to get started on this now and out of the way.

Thank you for any information, your time, and recommendations you can provide.
Jeremy

There are some other ways to get in the cockpit and fly which do not require a medical (though you do have to self certify that you are safe).

Gliders or light sport aircraft. One idea might be to start that in VA. You can either obtain one of those certificates and then do a private “add-on” using that time, or apply most of the time spent to a PPL later.

Who knows, you might even find you like gliding and soaring for its own sake :emoji846:

Sometimes sport pilot instruction can be a bit difficult to find. If that is not to your liking locally, another idea is to work on gliding in VA. There is an add-on path from glider to private single engine also which uses much of the time invested.

Gliding really does teach the feel of an airplane in the air and energy management and landings very well. Enjoy the journey!

Nub_Pilot said:
Another separate question, If I do the ground school online and pass the written exam, does it expire? So, basically if I do the ground school now and it turns out that I can't get the medical right away and complete the sport license path (which doesn't required the written, as far as I read somewhere), would it still be valid in a couple years if my medical takes that long?

Thanks
Written exams are good for 2 years from when you pass. The more time which goes by, the more review will likely be needed to pass the oral part of the practical, of course.

Just to be completely clear, because of the non-starter comment. You can go and do an AME consult, per the link I provided in an earlier post. That will clarify whether you will likely need an SI or not. Doing a consult only will not result in a denial, so you can still fly gliders or go the sport pilot route, so long as you have not been denied and are able to self certify you are safe to fly.

Back