Help me choose too

Jim Logajan

Administrator
Staff member
Looked through the "Help me choose" thread and while there were some interesting planes mentioned, my desired characteristics don't quite match the original criteria. I'm looking for something that meets the following:

Just 2 seats; ideally side-by-side.
Pilot and passenger weigh no more than 340 lbs together.
Baggage to 100 lbs.
Cruises at 120 kts+ @ <6000 ft for at least 4 hrs (i.e. range 480+ nm) with above stated baggage and people on board.

The problem is actually one of narrowing down the possibilities since the criteria are met by too many planes - and I have knowledge of only a small number of models. Naturally expense should be as low as safely possible (i.e. it'll be "pre-owned".) Experimentals are OK too. No preference for high or low wing - but should have a nose gear.

Replies that contain only make and model that meet the criteria would be quite all right - I should be able to take it from there - so long as I can find more info on the web using that ID info.

Actually if anyone knows of a web site where you can plug the above criteria into search fields and have it pop out a list of aircraft models that meet the requested criteria that would be great!

Thanks so far for the many replies - much appreciated. Some clarifications:

Recommendations for airplane having more than 2 seats is fine, but the expectation is that more seats means more cost, hence the 2 seat minimum. Thankfully no one has suggested a Boeing 747, which technically meets all but one of the criteria (fails the "expense should be as low as safely possible" criteria by a hefty margin.)

So while an RV-6A, 7A, and 9A (and possibly the 12A) and fast-glass airplanes all meet the requirements, I believe that tend to exceed them enough that even the least expensive used ones go for $50k and up.

Price is always a consideration - the trick seems to be finding the airplane that meets the criteria with the least cost. I hadn't previously known anything about the various Grumman models, so that information has been helpful.

gismo said:
I'm afraid you need to supply more criteria to get a good match. First of all, why only two seats?
I worded the criteria wrong - I intended to mean that 2 seats was the minimum required, but no more than 2 would likely ever be occupied. So 4 seats would be OK so long as they didn't come at a premium. Based on your answer and that of others 4 seats is the norm.

As someone else pointed out, "modern" non-LSA certified two seaters are fairly rare because the market is very small except for dedicated trainers. And most "four seaters" are really two person airplanes when loaded with full fuel and some baggage. Finally there's very little penalty, cost wise (purchase and operational) between a two seat plane and one with four seats if they both have about the same payload. There are some "classic" two seat designs that meet most of your stated criteria except for the tricycle gear. Finally there are plenty of 2 seat LSAs out there but since most if not all are of recent manufacture, you aren't likely to find any "inexpensive" ones today.
Ironically I'm somewhat more familiar with what is available in the experimental world (I thought someday of building my own - but eventually concluded would rather fly than build) and as you note (and I hadn't really known,) 2-seaters are more common among homebuilts than among certified.

In the homebuilt world, there are a lot more choices for airplanes with only two seats, almost in complete opposite ratios as the certified choices. The most popular by far are the various RVs, and particularly the RV-7 with side by side seating and a nosewheel. There are some significant cost benefits of going with a homebuilt although IME most of the better built ones command prices similar to the LSAs, e.g. not what I would call "inexpensive". And a low price might mean some build quality issues that you wouldn't want to tangle with.

In the homebuilt arena you'd also have to choose between aluminum and plastic construction. Typically plastic offers both better performance/economy and better opportunities for hidden defects and/or excess weight. Personally, I'd much prefer to purchase a metal homebuilt than a plastic one unless I was intimately familiar with it's construction, but would rather fly a plastic one due to the performance advantages. Homebuilts also give you greater opportunities WRT owner maintenance (more savings) as well as a multitude of affordable choices for avionics that can't be installed in a certified airplane.

Do you have a specific purchase and hourly operating cost in mind?
Purchase price under $35k, if that is possible within my criteria. Given rents in my area, operating costs well under about $80/hr. A wild guess of my own likely flying would be on the order of 80 to 120 hours a year (borderline for a purchase, if I understand correctly. But superior availability over rentals might be key decider. Probably would overnight more often than not.)

Are you dead set against a taildragger?
Long answer to a simple question: I'm still a student pilot with only about 6 hours of power as of this evening (C-152; e.g. I just got done a couple hours ago of practicing stalls) and 13 hours of glider time (SGS 2-33A a couple years back). If I do purchase, it would likely be within the next year or so. Naturally I'm getting ahead of myself by asking now! But I'm already finding myself booking commercial flights of under 1000 nm once or twice a month. (E.g. Central Oregon to SF Bay area.) If it wasn't for the projected travel to business meetings I wouldn't even be considering a purchase. Also, I'd probably opt for getting an IFR rating before a taildragger endorsement - unless there was a compelling reason to reverse that priority.

Speaking of IFR: I suppose I could include IFR equipped as a criteria but I suppose I'd have to up the amount I'd be willing to spend - correct?

Does cabin width and/or height pose any concerns?
I'm 5' 9" and 170 lbs and my wife is even smaller, so I don't think there should be any height (or weight!) issues. (The 340 lbs was being pessimistic - I swear! :wink2:) The C-152 seems a bit cozy, so anything wider than that would be preferred.

Would you want to perform as much of the maintenance yourself as possible to save money?
That would be nice, and would be a reason to include homebuilts. But not essential.

What climate will you normally be operating in?
I'm in Oregon, so Pacific northwest/west coast (i.e. northern Washington to southern California, with occasional forays elsewhere in the west to about the Rockies. Be neat to use it to visit relatives in Minnesota and Illinois once or twice a year.)

Hmm - $35k already seems optimistic based on some of the suggested options. If it costs more than $45k to meet what I thought was modest criteria, then I may scrub the idea and rent as needed.

Cruises at 120 kts+ @ <6000 ft for at least 4 hrs (i.e. range 480+ nm) with above stated baggage and people on board.
Just FYI: my 4 hrs is with no reserve. Call it 3 hrs plus a generous 1 hr VFR reserve.

Typical example: I know it takes me 10+ hours to drive from Creswell Oregon to San Jose California. It would be nice to spend less than 3.5 hours flying to the same destination (about 400 nm straightline distance) with a refueling stop in there somewhere. Probably 4 to 5 hours door-to-door, which I estimate is less than the time it recently took me for a commercial flight from door to door (probably closer to 6 for commercial!) Hence the 120 kt criteria.

Also, the commercial flight cost about $450 - but I had to drive 2 hrs to Portland to catch it - and another 2 hr drive return. Assuming ~7 hrs round trip via GA, amortized cost factor would have to be at or around ~$64/hr.

Henning said:
While depending on your geographic region you can use lower end GA planes for business travel, you need to be able to leave a three day window on either end of the trip, and typically, business travel doesn't allow for that.
Ah - I don't believe my business travel is "typical":

There often would be considerable flexibility in the travel. I do on-site training for existing customers and occasion demos to prospects (I currently do a lot of Internet Webex presentations from the comfort of a home office, but a surprisingly large number of prospects want an on-site demo, even though it is primarily a software product sold to internet equipment vendors - go figure!) The travel is generally arranged on a mutually agreeable schedule, so a day or two delay for VFR isn't a killer.

While commercial flying would be the only option for well under 50% of the travel, the only issue is whether the remaining 50%+ GA-possible travel would make a purchase worthwhile. The 80 hrs/year estimate would cover the business-only flying that might happen when weather and distance coincide to make it possible. That's assuming 20+ flights/year and that I could only use a private plane for half of them.

None of that may change a determination that a purchase for business reasons is not justified, but I wanted to correct some of the (otherwise reasonable) assumptions being made.

Lastly, I didn't really have a fixed upper limit in mind for purchase price, but used $35k as an ideal. What I really need to first know are what kinds of makes and models meet the criteria and are considered worthwhile airplanes - then estimate the cost of owning. Then I can compare to not owning over a usage period of about 4 years. But it is hard to even begin the estimation if I don't have some concrete basis to start.

Lots of useful responses - much appreciated to all. Learning some useful things I didn't expect - such as:

I had not realized that icing was more probable in the U.S. Pacific northwest than even the midwest. So I did some web research and found the following (for anyone interested in aviation AIRMET-derived climate statistics):

"AVIATION ADVISORY CLIMATOLOGIES"
http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/103801.pdf

Figure 13 provides a nice graphical depiction of probabilities of icing at several flight levels over the continental U.S. based on issued AIRMETs.

Another related link:

"AN INFERRED ICING CLIMATOLOGY. PART III: ICING AIRMETS AND IIDA"
http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/38757.pdf

flyersfan31 said:
$35k.

I don't mean to be rude, but 🤣

For potential business travel? NFW.
Not possible under $35k - I'm shocked! :skeptical:

Seriously though, my first inclination was to reply with a number like $55k, but hope springs eternal, so I figured I may as well use the approximate cost to build from a Sonex kit and see if anyone was privy to any astounding deals. Clearly the members of this forum aren't also members of the super secret clubs that know where one can buy $35k twin engine aircraft with deicing capabilities.:wink2:

At this point I've come to the conclusion that I would not quite be able to justify buying a plane for the projected amount of business travel possible when geography and utilization fraction are included (i.e. probably ~75% of the time: ~55% for about 6 months and 95% the other 6 months.)

But non-monetary considerations might eventually lead me to buy an airplane anyway - but not for quite a while.

Back