High Wing vs. Low Wing

Jim Logajan

Administrator
Staff member
For airplane drivers, a pointless little poll: do you prefer to fly high wing or low wing airplanes?

gprellwitz said:
Yes. Both, even. Next topic? :)
I actually thought about adding a "both" option, but I also hate wafflers, though I do enjoy eating waffles.

(Good thing I didn't asked which was better! Just which one pilots prefer. :wink2:)

gprellwitz said:
How about biplanes? Should rotary wing and powered parachute go with high wing? :)
:dunno:

Pick your least favorite wing on a bi-plane and vote for the other one. :wink2:
Poll is about "airplanes" so the answer to the second question is "42".
Airship, gliders, and powered lift polls that way -->>
:D

Fearless Tower said:
What about mid-wings....ala Aerostar or B-25???
I don't need to do a lot of bombing, so I guess I overlooked the B-25. Didn't know the Ford Aerostar had a wing! :goofy:

gprellwitz said:
I suspect you were in a troublemaking mood with this poll. :)
I have this d*mn technical document I have to complete and was having writer's block. While putzing about waiting for inspiration (or work ethic) to strike, the devil came along and made me start this poll. I suggest you blame society for yet another needless tragedy.

Satchmo10th said:
Does a rotor disk count as a high wing? :wink2:
Not for this poll ("For airplane drivers....") :wink2:

You could always start a poll asking where rotorcraft pilots prefer the rotor. (Other than ground effect vehicles, I don't know of any production rotorcraft that ever had the rotor below the fuselage.)

flav8r said:
High wing or low wing?

a6890933-cb07-5027.jpg
That's a low wing.
By decree of the poll creator.:D

flyingcheesehead said:
Bzzzt. :no:

From the left, that'd be the Martin Marietta X-24A, the Northrop M2-F3, and the Northrop HL-10.
Thanks for IDs.

They're all powered... So they ain't gliders. :no:
The FAA and I both recognize the concept of powered gliders. :D

None of them ever made it to space, nor were they designed to. :no: The highest altitudes reached were 70,400, 70,500, and 90,030 MSL respectively.
Doesn't matter how high they flew - intent is all that matters. They were experimental aircraft designed to test their ability to glide.

That said, they don't really even have wings at all... So despite the incorrect reasoning, they don't belong in the poll. What's really curious is that there is no FAA rating that covers a lifting body! It's not an airplane, a rotorcraft, a glider, a powered-lift vehicle, lighter than air, powered parachute, or weight shift... So no category of aircraft that's put on a pilot certificate applies!
I still think they are gliders and meet all the requisite criteria.

Back