HIMS 1st Class Medical Maze

GRRR

Grab the popcorn ~~

Here is a little insight into the medical certification maze. As many people recommend on here, I would strongly recommend that you have an AME that will advocate for you as an airman and that the AME is fluent in any type of medical certification issue that you may have. There are 2 great Sr. AME’s on here and I had the privilege of meeting Dr. Chien early this year at 1C5. Utilize them but LISTEN to them. If your case is like mine, you cannot just switch your HIMS AME without a lengthy process and Federal Air Surgeon approval. I wish I would have been a member on this board 2 years ago and picked the right AME vs. just calling the “local guy”. Looking back at the last 2 years, I would be more than likely already working at a Part 121 regional airline if I had been more knowledgeable about the process and had my provider stacked the deck in my favor from the beginning. In short, don’t settle for the cheapest or closest AME – just don’t.

In 2003 (yes, 16 years ago), I was young, stupid, and got caught with drugs – possession of a controlled substance. In 2004, I got a DUI. I was 19 and 20 at the time. Call it youthful stupidity and looking back, I am disgusted at those mistakes. I started flying when I was 14 yrs old and soloed on my 16th birthday with getting my ppl the next year. Over the next 24 months I built about 100 hours of flight time. 2 years later is when the substance issuance came about and the FAA revoked my medical and license. I stopped flying from 2005 and intermittently applied for a medical certificate after the 1 year revocation was up but all I got was the “We need you to obtain a psych eval”. I never spent the $3,000 for such and just didn’t fly as I was busy with my primary job. Fast forward to 2016 – the passion reignited and the airlines are going through a shortage of pilots so I called the FAA to see what they wanted from me since these infractions were 13 years prior. Lesson #1 – They don’t change their stance. When the ask for something, they want exactly that. Not a modified version – EXACTLY. All they wanted was to get a solid psychiatric exam. So I was off to find a psychiatrist with an aviation background (I didn’t know the difference between Joe Blow vs. a HIMS psych). Found a fantastic forensic psych in Ann Arbor MI that was aware of the FARs and had spent years doing fitness for duty assessments for airlines. This was a $3,100 appointment. We will grab the calculator at the end. He sent in the report to the FAA and in Jan 2017 they asked me to engage with a HIMS AME (find your local one here - https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/media/hims independent medical sponsors.pdf) or be smart and reach out to Dr. Chien or Dr. Fowler. I was busy in 2017 with my main work (real estate broker) but finally met with one in August 2017. HIMS AME was $1500 to take my case. We immediately started with the random drug & alcohol screening, I found a counselor to satisfy the aftercare requirement, and the rest of the routine HIMS drug / alcohol stuff. Side Note – in 2015 I quit drinking just due to weight and personal health and gosh forbid – I was never going back to drugs so these screens were and still are easy to do. At this point, I started lessons at a local airport just to shave the rust off. Immediately picked up everything and started instrument training. Over the next few months I took the private and instrument written and was making some serious progress. But I needed a medical. In Dec 2017 – I met with the same psych again to get a re-assessment completed before my HIMS file was sent off to the FAA. Psych visit was $1060. Since I was flying so much, I got the grand ole idea to buy an airplane – 1969 Piper Arrow. It was going to be way cheaper to go this route vs. renting. After all, I needed 1500 hours total to go to the airlines. I found myself each night in late Dec and Jan checking the airmen status page (https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/Main.aspx) to see if a medical would pop up but nothing. Finally, Feb 4th 2018 it changed – and I was issued a 3rd class Special issuance. I was ecstatic and confused as I took a 1st class exam and passed and of course needed a 1st class for the airlines – BUT – a 3rd would work for now! My HIMS AME response “well we can figure it out later”. I called the FAA (405-954-4821) to get a copy of my medical and special issuance letter which they faxed within a few hours. The special issuance required me to maintain sobriety, 14 random drug / alcohol screens per year, annual psych visit, quarterly counseling, and to see my HIMS AME every 6 months. It was valid through Feb 2020 so I would be peeing in a cup and following their requirements until then. Between March – May 2018 I passed my private, instrument, commercial SE, and Commercial MEL checkrides and started flying, EVERY single day building time at about 100 hours per month. In July 2018 I revisited my HIMS AME as required but I needed a 1st class medical. ($250). In my Special Issuance – there was a paragraph stating “If you follow the requirements above and are medically qualified your HIMS AME is authorized to issue you ANY CLASS OF PILOT DUTIES”. So I passed the 1st class exam and had a 1st class medical in my hand. If it seems too easy, it must be. In November 2018 I received a nasty letter from the FAA stating I need to complete the full neuropsychological exam with a HIMS neuropsych within 60 days. My AME said he would see whats going on but I didn’t have time to waste. So I found the neuro list (https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...de/media/AeromedicalNeuropsychologistList.pdf) and started calling. I got an extension from the FAA for another 30 days and presented for the full day of testing Dec 30 2018. Neuropsych - $2640. Here is a BIG “please learn from my mistake”! DO NOT go to this exam if you are not 110% rested and DO NOT have anything in your system – OTC or prescription. I was nervous about these tests and stayed at an OK hotel and got maybe 4-5 hours of sleep. I really didn’t think anything of it, I just kept drinking coffee and got through the day. With about 50% of your normal sleep you are basically performing with a .04 BAC – now I know! Do yourself a favor get a REALLY nice hotel and LOTS of sleep! The following week it was time for my annual psych visit - $1060 again. 2 weeks later I get a copy of the neuro report and I really ***ed up! ½ of the tests said I had “mild” impairments and my CogScreen looked like crap (.740 LRPV), along with another test comparing me to an ADHD clinical profile!!! I am 35 and healthy so this made NO sense. I explained this to the neuropsych and we agreed that I should retake the CogScreen and the CPT-II (ADHD, processing speed test). Jan 2019 – Time for my 6 months HIMS AME visit but this one could only be a 3rd class. ($250). Back to neuro - I went back down in Feb 2019 ($350 visit - $150 hotel) and took both exams which came out normal (LRPV 0.0062 & No ADHD). Phew! A Couple weeks later I receive the new neuro psych report backing up my claim of fatigue and that he recommends I retake the other tests I did poorly on next. There is something called practice effect so you cannot retake these tests unless you wait 6 months. In Feb 2019 I get a love note from the FAA – “ We are WITHDRAWING your Special Issance due to COGNITIVE DEFICITS””We are sending your case to an outside neuropsychological consultant”. Oh s**t. For some reason, they didn’t ask me to return my 3rd class medical and I verified that since it had a 6 month limit on it – I could keep flying. At this point I sent Dr. Chien his retainer fee to look at my case and assess the situation. Unfortunately, his great advice had to stay as advice since you are not allowed to switch your HIMS AME. Over March, April, May, June I kept calling Oklahoma wondering what the status was but nothing. At this point – I was done building my time as I hit 1504 hours and sold my plane July 3rd . – Sad Day! Finally in July 2019 – the consultant’s report comes back but nobody at the FAA is reviewing it. What does it say? How deep in doodoo am I? I keep calling – still under review. Finally, I airline over to Oshkosh since the FAA med guys post up there to answer questions and sit down with a deputy regional flight surgeon who makes a call or two and then says I will have an answer in a couple days. He gave me his card and said to call him if I ever had questions. Sure enough – the following week I get a letter from the FAA stating I need to go retake the weak items again. I go back down August 2019 for my 3rd appointment and retake everything. $1000 + $150 for the hotel. 2 weeks later the report is issued with all above average scores and no concerns.

AggieMike88 said:
Also, major congratulations... this really shows that one can overcome big challenges and major bureaucratic obstacles when you apply large amounts of knowledge, patience, and perseverance.
And money!

bbchien said:
Not entirely. The recidivism rate is up...
I am also curious how the FAA concludes this is the case. Given the types of measures used and what appears to be their limited reliability, I would be somewhat surprised to see a study which is reliably able to conclude that the recidivism rates have changed over time. (A quick pubmed search does not show anything obvious.)

Back