How necessary is iPad GPS for ForeFlight?

Jakl15

I purchased an iPad Mini 5 64GB on Black Friday, but it is Wi-Fi only. I did not realize that the cellular model is the only with built-in GPS.

Currently my wife and I are just renting to see how GA fits in our lifestyle (previously committed to purchasing, but then 2 kids changed things a little). We plan to spend the next year renting and seeing how often we truly fly. I got this iPad with the plan of using it mainly for ForeFlight. I do not currently have a Stratus, but all of the aircraft I will be renting have either a moving map GPS or ADS-B in (most are still predominantly steam gauge, though)

I see myself getting a puck down the road IOT have weather capability as well as ADS-B in/out, but that likely won't happen until if we decide to purchase our own plane.

So beyond breadcrumbs and having your aircraft shown on the approach plate, how much use is the GPS antenna on the iPad? And if I'm already flying an aircraft with a moving map GPS, is it necessary?

mandm said:
Personal preference. No right or wrong answer. I have Foreflight as it’s convenient having the charts and approaches there plus ability to see traffic.
Also, how much really is the Foreflight subscription compared to one hour of flight?

Back