I need to stop asking questions . . .

Never again, indeed. I am back to the old ways of asking forgiveness rather than permission. Twice this week I have tried getting clarification on what I thought to be an obvious answer. Twice I came away with the feeling I should not be asking questions.

Situation 1: Issued a Class B clearance direct to a destination which passes through a Stadium TFR. Seems to me that falls under the THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES clause, but ask that at the FSDO and oh my there is some serious dancing around, with no statement made with enough conviction to make me feel comfortable (either yeah or nay). Those three letters (TFR) really get people into a state these days.

Situation 2: Entry level twin for sale, one potential buyer wants to acquire it for to get her MEL. So, Mr. Insurance Underwriter, on a demo flight with me (current MEI) in the right seat, am I covered when I allow the potential buyer to manipulate the controls (to include a coached landing) so that she knows what great fun she's potentially getting into? Oh NO, that would be instruction and you are not covered. Just how do I let them see flying qualities? I have to risk everything finacially just to sell a plane? I need to shop around for a new policy.

Just nutty, I tell you.

Frank said:
Insurers are not bad organizations.
My step-father's first wife died in a car accident. There was a small life insurance policy on her - not much, enough to handle expenses that come up when a person dies. The St. Paul Companies agent told my step-father that the company would pay less than the insured value - counting on the fact that contesting the difference would cost more than it was worth.

Insurers are not bad organizations, but be wary of the people in them.

Back