I request help with planning an adventure across the northern tier.

Morgan3820

I promised my Daughter a graduation trip and she has certainly earned it (3.92 GPA biochemistry, minor in classic languages). The details are 3 weeks next May in my Arrow II stopping at the national parks in the northern US. Leaving eastern NC and starting, I think, with the Badlands, Wind caves in SD, then Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier, Teddy Roosevelt, Voyagers, Isle Royal. I know that there is a lot more to see but her goal is to visit all of the national parks. I had thought about continuing to the west coast and the parks in the NW but I don't think that the time allotted will allow for that.
I have never been to this part of the country either so it will be an adventure for both of us. I am seeking experienced advice regarding flying up there, accommodations, ground transportation, what to see/avoid. And anything else that might help.
Because of her future plans, I expect this to be the last opportunity to have this large a chunk of time with her, so I want to make the best of it.
Thank you.

I have been through or flown over most of these. That is a lot of items to discuss but you have time to plan it out. Sounds like a great trip.

One thing to know about Isle Royale is that there is no airport or motorized transport on the island. So you will need to travel there by ferry or seaplane.

If before Memorial Day, you will be able to avoid some of the worst crowds in Yellowstone.

Morgan3820 said:
So. How does a visit to a national park work? I’ve been to the Shenandoah national park just seem to drive through your own car. The only way you know where you are in a national park is when you read the sign. Are the other ones different I heard vehicle passes mentioned.Do you need tickets?
Seems odd you have never been in one of the more controlled ones.

There is often an entrance gate and you need to buy a pass to enter. In this case you will likely want to get an annual pass for all the parks. About $80. https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

Back