Is it illegal to fly without a current afd and sectional?

Giannid

The ones I had in the plane with me when I was flying with my old instructor were out dated. Actually only the afd was. The sectional I had was current. He told me it was not legal to fly without these. New instructor says its not the case. I do have current ones in my plane now. I just cant find anywhere in the FAR that states this. Who is right?

The ones I had in the plane with me when I was flying with my old instructor were out dated. Actually only the afd was. The sectional I had was current. He told me it was not legal to fly without these. New instructor says its not the case. I do have current ones in my plane now. I just cant find anywhere in the FAR that states this. Who is right?
The FAA has a FAQ on this you and your old instructor should read:

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/faq/#q2f

Basically if you are flying under Part 91, you are not required to use current charts.

Although I am still just a student, I did go to the minor additional expense of using Sporty's subscription services so I would automatically get the latest local sectionals and A/FD. So far the updates have arrived in the mail on the dates the old ones expired - not bad service.

Rotor&Wing said:
I used them also. Great service. 👍
Yup - and I must say that charts are such a tiny portion of aviating expenses that the only reason not to have the latest is the hassle involved in keeping them current. For some odd reason I agonized over whether to get the subscriptions - then realized I probably spend as much on EAA, AOPA, and SSA memberships per year (oh, and a subscription to Kitplanes magazine.) None of those expenses help me in flight!

Back