Is the number one cause of accidents/injuries low visibilty?

rbhankins001

It seems to be a recurring theme . . . maybe I'm wrong. What does the forum say???

I'm a fairweather flyer (that doesn't mean I'm not going to get an IFR just in case though!) and never HAVE to be anywhere that bad. I prefer to wait it out.

So what do you guys thing is the leading contributor to accidents involving major damage and injuries??? (Please don't say pilot error :rolleyes:)

??

A single general aviation pilot flying non-commercially for 100 hours a year for 160 years and then having a reportable accident would have an accident rate comparable to the statistics in the 2010 Nall Report.

So if you fly 100 hours a year, my advice is to stop flying before your 160th birthday and you'll be OK. :rolleyes:

flyingron said:
My favorite was a news report that said the cause of the accident had been determined to be either pilot error, mechanical failure, or the weather. I was beginning to wonder what they'd ruled out? That the crew had been abducted by aliens?
They also ruled out that the crew was abducted by people from the future:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097883/plotsummary

(I read the story by John Varley but never watched the movie all the way through when it came out.)

wabower said:
We should know by now that pilots aren't going to voluntarily maintain their proficiency without more incentives.
Make flying cheaper and pilots can then afford to maintain their proficiency. Give them more time away from the rest of their lives so they can practice. All the incentives and threats in the universe do not change the time and financial limits. Pilots are as safe as they can afford.

Back