Leading edge damage affecting airworthiness?

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a photo of some damage to the leading edge of the right wing of a B35-C33 Debonair. What do people think - does this look like it will affect airworthiness?

IMG0812.jpg

(I had nothing to do with the damage - really.)

Bird strike or hangar rash?
That looks like it may have affected a rib, and depending on the cause could have affected the spar.
Have the owner take it up and if the wing folds up do not continue flying. ;)

Does anyone have a link to a free copy somewhere?
Free Beech manuals are not as prevalent online as Piper or Cessna. There's the odd A36 out there but doubtful for an older model that you are looking for. Maybe see if someone you know belongs to a beech forum where they usually have free copies available to members. Also Beech uses a separate structural manual for some models so may be need to look for that one as well.

I suspect it was a ground accident but haven't heard for sure. It has been flown subsequently without apparent ill affect.

Good to know about the lack of manuals around. A mechanic is supposed to be looking at it, so I guess that should be more definitive.

How do you know the damage is only to the skin of the leading edge?
I don't. In fact, I don't really know how the damage happened. Club plane and this showed up on the plane in the hangar the other member. Presumably some member or maybe someone else when it was on the ramp. It was only recently moved into a hangar and this was on the wing shortly after move in.

Back