LSA, will it work for me?

Kanan

I'm new here, and new to the world of flying. I've always dreamt of flying, but it wasn't until recently that I decided to do the leg work and see what I was up against. I've done a bunch of research trying to get the easy questions answered, but I still have some left. I wanted to lay out what I found and see if it passes the sniff test with all you folks.

I live in Omaha, NE and am looking for a new fun hobby and for some speedy and economical (personal) transportation to Chicago, Minneapolis and Colorado Springs.

Since I’m concerned with economy and it’ll usually just be me flying, it sounds like LSA is the way to go. I’m flexible enough to be able to pick clear days, and no night flying. (Worst case I would just drive it.) I wouldn’t have any problem with the medical exam if I did go for a private. But since I’d be flying an LSA I’m guessing, is there any reason to upgrade to private?

I was looking at planes online and found this one for about $80,000: http://www.aerotrek.aero/lsanot100k.htm Not that I would actually get this plane, but would it do what I’m talking about?

I’m also wondering about how this all really works. Can you really just land at (most) any of the 3,000 airports in the country, tie up for free, grab some lunch, fill up your tank and take off again, with no fees by the airport, FAA or really anyone?

What if I want to stay a couple days is Colorado Springs for example, is there an overnight ‘parking’ fee?

Is this really an option to use as a way to get around? What am I missing here? These all may be stupid questions, but if I’m not that far off, then why aren’t there more people flying?

Also I'm 6'5", 240lbs. I’m pretty used to getting into cars and such that are a bit small, so I’m betting I can find something that’ll fit me, just wondering if there are any specific recommendations.

Thanks all!
Kanan

LSA would "work" but IMHO you should go for private pilot (PP) because:

• Same basic piloting skills are required for both.
  • While the hours required for LSA certificate are theoretically fewer, in practice not so much that it matters.
  • With LSA you have fewer airplane choices both for rental and purchase. And ironically, you can find much cheaper used airplanes requiring a PP than you can for LSA, often eliminating any small costs you may have saved by pursuing a LSA cert.
  • A private pilot can still fly LSA aircraft under LSA regs.

Back