Maybe a Forum for Drone Pilots?

RandomDroneGuy

It could be mutually beneficial. Most drone pilots have no experience flying Part 91, so they could learn something; and there are enough of them to create some content, some of which would be nice to look at. Add a few sub-forums for drones, training, pictures and video, rules and regs or whatever. Just an idea.

We can do that. A forum under the "Controlled Airspace" category seems the best location. With a simple name something like "Drone Flying" or cute like "Droning On and On" or whatever?

We can do that. A forum under the "Controlled Airspace" category seems the best location. With a simple name something like "Drone Flying" or cute like "Droning On and On" or whatever?
I have to admit that "Droning On and On" is catchy.

The official name for a drone is sUAS (small unmanned aircraft system), and the official name for a certificated drone pilot is "Remote Pilot with a Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems rating." The certificate is issued under Part 107. There also is a recreational exemption that requires (among other requirements) taking a course called TRUST that's aimed at 10-year-olds (seriously) and gives them a bare basics introduction to flight safety.

If you get something online I can make a post in the r/drones and r/part107 subs in Reddit and see if anyone joins. Thanks.

It takes only a few moments to create a new forum. Just need a name. I suppose a non-cute name would be best because humor names can grow stale after awhile. I could put "A place to go droning on and on about sUAS." in the forum's description. The description is more easily changed than the forum name.

Some possibilities that come to my mind:
"Drone Flying"
"Flying Drones"
"Flying Unmanned Aircraft"

Could substitute "Piloting" in place of "Flying" though there are lots of drone topics where piloting isn't the subject.

It takes only a few moments to create a new forum. Just need a name. I suppose a non-cute name would be best because humor names can grow stale after awhile. I could put "A place to go droning on and on about sUAS." in the forum's description. The description is more easily changed than the forum name.

Some possibilities that come to my mind:
"Drone Flying"
"Flying Drones"
"Flying Unmanned Aircraft"

Could substitute "Piloting" in place of "Flying" though there are lots of drone topics where piloting isn't the subject.
Maybe "Remote Pilots and Unmanned Aircraft". That's broad enough to encompass it all.

A bit lengthy, though. I notice you used "drone" in you handle and suspect most UAS pilots use that term. So maybe "Drone/sUAS Flying"?
That would be fine. A rose by any other name and all that.

As for "random drone guy," there's a story behind that. I was shooting some footage of one of the old buildings down at Letchworth Village when some young people walked behind me. One asked the other, "What's that guy doing?" The other answered, "He's just some random drone guy." I thought it sounded catchy, so I kept it.

That would be fine. A rose by any other name and all that.

As for "random drone guy," there's a story behind that. I was shooting some footage of one of the old buildings down at Letchworth Village when some young people walked behind me. One asked the other, "What's that guy doing?" The other answered, "He's just some random drone guy." I thought it sounded catchy, so I kept it.
I can be pretty indecisive when it comes to naming things. Sorry. To prevent further delay I've created a "Drone/sUAS Flying" forum under the "Controlled Airspace" category.

Back