Month long road trip-Give me ideas for what to see.

timwinters

Or...how about cool places to drive?

The 10 day forecast for our area doesn't contain a high temp below 92.

Ugggghhhhh.

It's time to plan a roadtrip to the Pacific NW. Our main destinations will be the Redwood National Park (which we've never seen) and the Columbia River Gorge area (which we love).

We'll be driving since Chris doesn't like to fly and since we'll have a least two dogs with us. We'll spend a week at our destination and take a week or two both going and coming. I've been in 47 of the contiguous 48 but the NW is the area that I've explored the least.

We don't like tourist trap places (hence my disdain for places like Branson). We like outdoors and nature. Any points between here and there are options.

Anyone (but especially you NW folks) please toss me any ideas for worthwhile places to visit between (roughly) I-70 and the Canadian border.

THANKS!

This is probably farther than you want to go or have time for, but you could board a car ferry at Bellingham Washington and take the inland passage to Skagway Alaska. Pets need to remain in the car deck, though.

I only mention it because it is definitely a different and enjoyable experience and it is nice to sit in the observation deck and let someone else "drive" while the scenery rolls by at a stately pace.

I-70 to the Canadian border is a rather large area. In addition to the suggestion I made last year, here's an electic list of places that my wife and I have visited:

Fort Peck Dam in Montana. When we were there you could visit the power station. I assume that is still the case.

One can tour the world's first nuclear power plant in Arco Idaho.

Craters of the Moon National Monument, near Arco.

Mount St. Helens. Has a visitor center.

Forgot to mention Dinosaur National Monument and Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. I think they are not as visited as other places just north of I-70 but should be interesting if you like outdoors and nature.

timwinters said:
The Dalles/Hood River, OR (for a week(ish) exploring the Columbia River Gorge and Portland)

Redwood National Park, CA
Looks like you'll be passing through Creswell, Oregon (just south of Eugene) on this leg. I fly out of Creswell. If you have the time, and weather and my schedule allow, I'd be happy to take you all up for an aerial tour in a C-172 rental of whatever in the area suits your fancy (such as Crater Lake or the Oregon coast.)

Boise/Idaho Falls, ID
I see you are sticking to I-84 on that leg. Fast but uninteresting, IMHO. It'll be almost as scenic as Nebraska. If you do drive it, may I suggest you take a quick turnoff south at Twin Fall onto U.S. 93 to have a look at the Snake River gorge in that area. Otherwise I think you'd find heading north from Mountain Home via U.S. 20 to Idaho Falls a more interesting route than I-84. Might be just as fast as I-84.

Back