More solo IFR (and no autopilot)

Baflier

Hi All - I really appreciate reading others' experiences with actual IMC. Admittedly I've been a risk averse IFR pilot since getting my rating in 2006 but have kept current with regular and frequent CFII training over the years. In the past couple of years I've focused on moving past the risk aversion and have stepped up my training significantly and have also started to look for IMC conditions that I'm comfortable in. Today was a good example where I filed, picked up clearance, took off in VMC from home airport and flew 50 nm through overcast and broken layers (ultimately into solid IMC) to an RNAV approach. The Cirrus SR-20 I was in had an INOP autopilot, a known item, so I hand flew the two hour flight, just like my early training when I got my instrument ticket in a C-172SP.

With no autopilot I had to really work at my scan and focus on relying on the artificial horizon even in straight and level IMC. A total mind over matter experience. I've studied the psychology of this in books, have hours and hours of hood time in VMC, flown with my instructor in IMC.

But for a low IMC pilot like me I've found there is just no substitute for doing it alone, in actual, under decent personal minimum conditions.

It would be great to hear from other instrument pilots of their experiences when they "transitioned" to being more comfortable hand flying in IMC. I assume at some point you reach a comfort level in your aircraft, in IMC, which is similar to VMC? Looking for advice, insight, whatever ...

Evidence of IMC is attached!

Thanks!
baflier
Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 1.15.49 PM.png

All of my actual IMC has been by hand in my Cardinal. Only a few hours here and there. The first time I did this deliberately I had a bit of a thought as I entered the clouds “if I screw up I could kill myself here”. That went away after some more experience shortly thereafter though came back again briefly after not flying actual IMC for a year. Whenever I enter the clouds it is always with a bit of apprehension until I am out.

Back