Morse code growing in the US

A long time ago, Jay Leno on the Tonight Show pitted two telegraphers against two teenagers with text messaging on their phones, to determine which method was faster.

The Morse guys wiped the floor with them.

Ron "ditditdit dahdahdah dahditditdit" Wanttaja

In my teens and twenties, I would get up at 4am, before school, to chat by Morse code on 80 meters (a low band frequency that worked well after dark). Admittedly, I never got very good (I could comfortably receive at about 12 wpm), but like the article said I liked doing it because I felt like some kind of clandestine spy, typing out my messages on a straight key, and listening for the return messages.
My brother, on the other hand, got REALLY good at it, and watching him copy code at 35 wpm, in HIS HEAD, while RIDING A MOTORCYCLE, was amazing! He said it was like listening to someone speak!
We used to drive our parents nuts, sitting at the dinner table, going, "Ditditditdit, ditdit. Dah, ditdit, dahdah." back and forth.
When I started taking flying lessons, my instructor almost seemed disappointed that I didn't need to ID the VOR with the dashes and dots on the chart as he tried showing me, and after testing me on a couple, sighed and said I was making things "too easy."

In high school I attempted a half hearted effort to learn the code. I was taking an electronics course and had planned to earn a ham license. Did not get it then. About ten years ago I learned that the Morse code requirement for all ham licenses had been dropped, so did the studying and got a license (got assigned KF7UBK but had it changed to AJ1ML.) Unfortunately I haven't used it in years.

In high school I attempted a half hearted effort to learn the code. I was taking an electronics course and had planned to earn a ham license. Did not get it then. About ten years ago I learned that the Morse code requirement for all ham licenses had been dropped, so did the studying and got a license (got assigned KF7UBK but had it changed to AJ1ML.) Unfortunately I haven't used it in years.
Admittedly, ham radio no longer holds it's mystic appeal...now you can just pick up a cell phone, and call anyone, anywhere in the world. I have a portable HF set up, and every now and then, on a nice day, I'll set it up on the back deck and make a few contacts around the country...but more frequently, I'll talk on VHF while flying: 8000 feet up will get you 90 miles or so straight line communication. I even got a vanity call to reflect where I usually can be found on the air.

Tim - K1VFR

Back