My flight lessons

I had 38.1 hours. I know I could have soloed sooner, but the amount of hours I have when I solo doesn't really matter. My flight school requires their students to fly with 2 different instructors and they both have to decide if the student is ready.
I do think the times I had a week in between lessons made me take longer, but that is fine. I have been enjoying it, and that's what matters.
They don't have the goal to solo a student as soon as possible like many flight schools do. They are very strict especially since a student pilot wrecked the Citabria.
It is awesome to have my solo done and I will be starting on my cross-country training soon, as well as night flying.

Congratulations!
Do they do any traditional rite like cutting off the tail of your shirt?
Yes they cut it clear up to the neck. They took a picture of me as well but I don't have the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2443.jpeg
    IMG_2443.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 25
I did my first solo cross-country on Saturday, August 10th. I went from Afton to Kemmerer to Pinedale to Afton. Here are a few pictures I took along the way.

Then I did my 3 hours of night flight Saturday night. We went to Pocatello and did 11 takeoffs and landings there at night. Then did slow flight 70 mph IAS on the way back with a ground speed of 104 to 110 because of the tailwind, and we needed it to be 3 hours to meet the minimum.
So I did 5.4 hours of flying on Saturday and into Sunday because we got back about 20 minutes after midnight.

Attachments

• IMG_6136.jpeg
    IMG_6136.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6129.jpeg
    IMG_6129.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6128.jpeg
    IMG_6128.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6119.jpeg
    IMG_6119.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 16
I did my first solo cross-country on Saturday, August 10th. I went from Afton to Kemmerer to Pinedale to Afton. Here are a few pictures I took along the way.

Richard, I have flown in that area. Where did you pass over the mountain range between Afton and these points east?

Richard, I have flown in that area. Where did you pass over the mountain range between Afton and these points east?
I departed Pinedale south to the Big Piney VOR, then turned on to the 243 degree radial and followed it up the canyon until crossing the creek and road, then turned northwest until I got to the south end of Smoot, then turned north towards the Afton airport.

Attachments

• IMG_2484.png
    IMG_2484.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 13
If you ever bring your C150 to Afton, I would love to fly with you if you had enough time. Maybe do a spin?
As my focus is trying to get my private pilot license without spending any more money than I need to, I don't know that I will be doing any spin training in the near future. But if you were up here flying I would love to ride with you.
Have you been doing any flying lately?

Richard, I am working now on finishing up my CFII. It is turning out to be more work than I anticipated because I am learning to fly the SR20, the G1000 panel, and having to become more proficient in my instrument flying.

I will likely be flying up that way a few times a year. It is a long flight in a C150 though. Thus it might be better for me to get checked out in an local plane to take you up for some spin training. Would love to do some flights with you.

Richard, I am working now on finishing up my CFII. It is turning out to be more work than I anticipated because I am learning to fly the SR20, the G1000 panel, and having to become more proficient in my instrument flying.

I will likely be flying up that way a few times a year. It is a long flight in a C150 though. Thus it might be better for me to get checked out in an local plane to take you up for some spin training. Would love to do some flights with you.
Awesome! I'm looking forward to it.

Back