My Skyguard ADS-B transceiver has been updated

Challenged

Last week I sent my SkyguardTWX back, in order to receive a GPS and firmware upgrade. It's my understanding that this should allow the device to continue functioning as a transceiver after the end of the year. The upgrade only cost me $50, so I just wanted to make a post to say how happy I've been with the service I've received and how well the product had performed so far.

"After much discussion, the FAA is going to allow us to use an “alternate” GPS position source where we can set the SDA and SIL parameters to numbers greater than zero but NOT as a fully TSO’d position source. This GPS is “rule compliant” with 5hz position updates and will support both an internal active antenna as well as an externally mounted active antenna. This will allow our units to continue to receive TIS-B traffic client services after the enacted policy change."

Just FYI my SkyguardTWX has also been updated. A new SMA connector was added where a newly supplied GPS antenna is attached to a new internal GPS receiver. The old external GPS antenna/receiver puck unit is no longer used. The new GPS unit gets its position fix much faster than the old unit. Haven't had a chance to test-fly with it yet.

Back