FAA's ADS-B Audit Report

kyleb said:
I'm surprised nobody (that I know of) has offered a simple plug and play system where you install a GPS antenna, install an ADS-B antenna, hook up a + wire to the buss, and a - wire to the avionics ground and you're on your way.
Given this from the audit, I'd be surprised if anyone managed such a thing:
For example, FAA did not approve the proposed manufacturing design for ADS-B Out avionics until 2012— 3 years after it approved the system’s minimum operating standards. The avionics manufacturers we spoke with agreed that FAA can take from 3 to 5 years to approve the avionics’ design and manufacturing process. In addition, FAA must approve any modifications that aircraft operators make to ensure the certified avionics work with their aircraft’s unique requirements and design features, and FAA must also approve operators’ installation of the avionics.20 This additional certification often takes 18 months or more.

Henning said:
If we don't cooperate, all the tax money that has been spent will be wasted, not by government but by us. If you don't take advantage of SVT, the biggest benefit the Space Shuttle program gave us is wasted.
There were and are technologies that will provide traffic warnings to aircraft that do not require cooperation of any other aircraft and would not require any regulatory mandates. Traditional on board radar is one such technology - though updated techniques allow great improvements over what used to be possible. If air carriers had no ATC to rely on and the FAA did not exist, people would have worked out technologies and strategies on their own that would reduce their risks of collisions relative to the cost they had to pay.

Is there some aspect of collision avoidance that actually requires dictates from a central authority? I'm not aware of any.

Back