Negative ANN article about Cirrus

zaitcev said:
I was not interested in smear dossier, just the facts pertaining to this specific case. I've seen even more ridiculous character assasination instances before. The whole point is to get beyond the circle of she said, he said.
So far only James Campbell has made statements and claims; couldn't find any statement from Cirrus.

jkgoblue said:
I'm missing something here... Why is he called Zoom?
So far as I know, "Captain Zoom" was James R. Campbell's own chosen handle or nickname. Someone else may know why.

weilke said:
It would probably make little difference if the documents didn't carry any signature at all.

What illustrates the best that both parties had a contract is the fact that both parties acted as if they had exactly the contract that is described on the piece of paper. Cirrus gave Campbell a plane and Campbell allowed Cirrus to put a lien for a set amount of money on the plane.
My understanding is the same as yours, since something as simple as an X is a valid signature. Absent uncontested written documents, then what generally matters in a dispute like this is how the parties acted.

TangoWhiskey said:
Not yet he doesn't. This appears to be a handwritten plea by Campbell himself. His note says it was sent certified mail to "Jason Ward Johnson", who is listed as an attorney in Florida. Has Mr. Johnson been listed in this action to date?
See post 43 for a mention of Jason Ward Johnson.

weilke said:
Wow, the FL courts have leaped into the 21st century.

I bet a lot of law firms are working on moving their email service from 'joes crab-shack and website emporium' to companies that provide a auditable and certified secure email service.
Because no single ISP can control email delivery, it doesn't really matter what requirements are placed on the receiving systems. Email delivery is a "best effort" system that no one is legally responsible for because it gets relayed from one privately owned entity to another, none of which provide any guarantees (except possibly to their own customers, and then only in regards to just their network equipment.) There isn't even any requirement that one ISP accept email from other systems. If email gets dropped enroute, tough. It is a federal crime to interfere with postal mail, but email is routinely and legally "interfered" with by a multitude of systems (e.g. spam filters that customers have no control over.)

A lot of private and government entities seem to treat email as somehow as having the same legal protections and reliability as postal mail. Dangerously stupid, IMHO.

Sorry for the thread drift.

wanttaja said:
Attached.

"2. Defendants have failed to substantially fulfill their obligations to the Law Firm under the agreement...."
"3. Furthermore, the Law Firm's representation has recently been rendered unreasonably difficult by the defendants."

Ron Wanttaja
And they told Campbell they were quitting him back on October 8. So if the judge sees that he has had two months now to find new representation, I wonder how much time he'll have to find another one? What's the usual judicial procedure for handling somebody playing that kind of game?

wanttaja said:
I think you just summarized his spin control if he loses the lawsuit. "I didn't like the way they ran the company, so I gave them the plane back and waived $700,000 in advertising fees that they owed me!"

Ron Wanttaja
That's not going to work for him - when you need spin control with a Cirrus caught in a lawsuit you are always supposed to deploy the parachute.

kyleb said:
A lot of people have, but the legal process is based on the assumption that a plantiff wants to resolve the issue, not drag it out.

So an individual like the zoomer can fight a rearguard action seemingly forever. It probably helps that his story probably sounds good in the first sit-down with a new lawyer. After about the third sitting, I bet the conversation gets interesting.
Unless I missed something, Campbell is the defendant, not the plaintiff. A legal process with rules set up under the assumption that a defendant in a civil action wants to resolve the issue would be a magnificently naive judicial system. Our system may be bad, but not that bad (I think.)

For that matter it would be naive for the rules to be set up with the assumption that a plaintiff wants their case resolved, since that incorrectly assumes the plaintiff wont use the system as a means of perpetual harassment.

wanttaja said:
If one of us *does* show up, they might become part of the show. Back on one of his other cases, the wife of a RAH-15 member showed up in court. Campbell didn't like her there (though he didn't know who she was), objected to her presence, and the judge questioned her before allowing her to remain.

Maybe I should show up. :)

Ron Wanttaja
Get there by making it a cross country trip in the Fly Baby! :D

wanttaja said:
If it HADN'T happened last Wednesday, I'm sure we would have seen a filing either from Cirrus howling for blood or a joint note with new date/time.
Oh yeah - skip to 10:20 of this video for confirmation ("Had to deal with... 9:30 in the morning to 5:30 ..."):

Steve Foley said:
Gee, I wonder how Cirrus came to be aware of a 30+ year old hearing.

(Three cheers for the RAH-15)
I was wondering whether the Cirrus lawyers just did good homework or have been getting a bit of an assist....

wanttaja said:
(You know a thread has been going on too long when you start stealing jokes from Abraham Lincoln...)
It's only too long a thread if it contains posts made by Abraham Lincoln.

3393RP said:
According to this document, the trial judge must rule "immediately" on the Motion to Disqualify...

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/...348/Filed_03-28-2011_Respondent_Exhibit_2.pdf

This is the sort of circus act one would expect from Campbell...Mercer appears to be well suited to Zoom's histrionics.

I think this going to be an allegation that the judge engaged in ex parte communications with Cirrus' attorney about the scheduling controversy of last week.
Given all the facts that Cirrus and Campbell are likely to produce at trial, a different judge isn't going to change the final outcome. It appears to be a pointless move that I assume would, at most, only change the trial date a bit.

Back