Painting a yoke?

Jim Logajan

Administrator
Staff member
The yokes on the 1956 C-172 I bought could use some painting but I'm not sure how to best go about that. Am I allowed to remove them to paint them? Should I try to strip the existing paint? Prime before painting? Or just paint over what is already there?

IMG_2815.jpeg

After a quick search around the net I'm thinking maybe not paint but cover with foam like this guy did from this thread:
Material:
Picture of results (presumably taken 7 years after application):

Granted my input might be worth what you are paying me for it here, but perhaps some kind of traction tape carefully wrapped around them?

Am I allowed to remove them to paint them?
No. That will require a mechanic but you can legally repaint them as preventative maintenance. If I recall correctly yours are riveted on, so perhaps ask your mechanic at the next annual to pop them off and you take care of them then?

FYI: if you use "control wheel" vs "yoke" when you search on the internet you may get more examples. Most OEMs, but not all, call those wheels and not yokes. A quick check in the parts manual will give you the correct term to use. The "yoke" is usually reserved for the control system behind the instrument panel. Minor technicality but can get you the wrong info or part if not careful.

As to painting, if you're not familiar with the painting process (prep, prime, finish) and want a long lasting result get some help or have someone do it for you. I would usually send my customers to a local auto body shop to have the wheels refinished. Power coat is also an option provided those wheels are not magnesium. In my experience, wrapping them with any type of "tape" is merely temporary in nature and can lead to other issues especially in a hot climate. Or if you want to go 1st class have some custom leather covers stitched.

Or if you want to go 1st class have some custom leather covers stitched.
Thanks for all that info! You made me curious about leather covers and found one place that shows an example of a leather covered 1956 C-172 style control wheel that looks simple to install (scroll down):

Looks like around $320 plus shipping to have leather covers for both control wheels/yokes - or $400 if a PTT switch is built in to each. (The currently installed red Velcroed buttons look a bit tacky.)
It is a low-priority cosmetic desire that I may implement at a later date.

Last edited:
Back