problems

I am a new private pilot. Several months ago I had a minor mishap, I accidentally hit a bush while taxiing. I thought something stuck on the rudder pedal, because the airplane stopped turning.The bushes were close to the taxiway too. But stupid mistake, I learned to be extra careful. Everyone was pretty nice to me, but I still felt horribly stupid. So anyway, over the summer, the flight school changed hands, my instructor left, new instructor came. New instructor and I did not hit it off, he gives me the creeps, and I think he's sexist. He doesn't want to let me rent there anymore because six months ago I hit a bush. So I went to another airport with a new instructor to start instrument training. First day up with new instructor, I heard the other instructor on the radio, and I'm sure he heard me. A few days after that, I got a phone call from the FAA that someone complained about me and the bush incident, and they were investigating. Now I have the joy of a 709 ride. I know I have to do this, but I'm pretty ****ed off that this other instructor seems to have it in for me. Any thoughts?

Trapper John said:
"I am a non-attorney spokesman." Wait until you get served. Until then, ignore them. There is no upside to responding to a fishing letter from some schmuck with a letterhead.

"I am a non-attorney spokesman." Until you're served, ignore them.

"I am a non-attorney spokesman." You hired the wrong attorney. Find another one. There a gazillions out there. Don't hire another one until you get served. Don't pay a retainer on an initial meeting, either.
I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, but do agree with most of the above advice. Remember it also costs them to bring legal action, and if the amount is in the $10k range, I imagine they'll try intimidation a few times first. Much cheaper.

I'm assuming the mechanic is a party to the alleged fraud and is willing to commit perjury? (Can't imagine this going very far if that weren't the case!)

Consider the evidence and witnesses you could bring up in a legal action to dispute their factual claims and write that all down if you haven't already. It'll help later. Don't share it with anyone except your lawyer.

Ron Levy said:
If you had non-owned ("renter's") aircraft insurance, none of this would be costing you a dime. You had that option, you chose not to exercise it, and now you pay the price for your penny-wise/pound-foolish decision.
If a school or instructor claims that a renter is already covered, it would have been silly to pay what appears to be a redundant fee.

At my airfield one firm will not even rent unless the renter proves they have adequate renter's insurance. The other firm claims "You are insured in [our] aircraft for rental and student pilot operations (liability and damage)."

Your attitude appears to be "screw naive student pilots - they shouldn't be doing this if they expect schools to teach them anything other than airmanship."

But one of the alphabet groups (AOPA?) recently determined that schools are already doing a poor job with student handling. Attitudes like yours that are sympathetic to liars, mercenary business tactics, and insurance fraud get little sympathy from me.

weilke said:
#6 Thou shalt smack anyone who telleth you that 'you are covered by our insurance' or 'we have never held a student responsible' upon his head with a heavy object until blood cometh out.

:wink2:
There is a flight school at the airfield I fly at that effectively does say "you are covered by our insurance":

http://www.takewinginc.com/documents/HowCoveredAreYou.pdf

I've met the owner briefly and have heard her reputation in hangar talk - I suspect if anyone tried to smack her over the head they'd get double-smacked back. :wink2:

Back