Should I buy, join a flying club, co-own, or keep waiting?

Sudburian

I have been collecting opinions from pilot friends/colleagues on this for several months now, and everyone I talk to is all over the map. This thread probably will be the same but no harm in hearing even more unbiased perspectives as I figure out what I want to do.

My life circumstances: Nearing the big five-oh, happily married, teenage kid, 3 dogs, pretty decent financial budget.

Aviation circumstances: finished ground school, waiting on FAA medical but it looks fine, taken 4 sporadic flying lessons mainly for fun but won't start in earnest until Arizona's cooler weather.

Aviation goals: to become a safe and competent low-hours, VFR pilot who will probably fly around the Southwestern US for my first few years while I gain experience and skills, for 3-day weekends when I can. Long term, maybe I'll graduate to a bigger plane that can take me to Boston for fun, or Mexico City for fun. But that's for another day far down the road. First let me figure out how to fly to Santa Fe for fun, with at most my wife in the plane with me. (Maybe my St. Bernard too, weight permitting). For a first plane, I have a heavy bias in favor of Cessnas, as I train in a 172. I like the C-182. Arizona's heat also predisposes me to high-wing airplanes. Piper Warriors are cool too though. And Cirrus, though those are likely out of my price range for solo ownership.

The options I keep weighing: (1) Buy my own plane outright and train in it this fall, which is financially doable. (2) Co-own a plane with an experienced CFI or mechanic to benefit from a wiser pilot than me. (3) Join a flying club consisting of about 10 members. (4) Join a flying club consisting of 40 members.

When I ask a CFI in town who I consult with often, he doesn't seem to think that the safety and skill-gaining factors really play into this decision. It doesn't matter on those factors, in other words. Well, if that's true, what are the good reasons I should buy or even co-own right now at this early stage? Why not just keep renting from my flight school, become more knowledgeable with my PPL in hand, and make a buying decision then? Appreciate any and all insights!

As you might guess, I second the buy a plane idea. It is just very nice to be able to take your keys and go the hangar and fly when you feel like it (once you have soloed of course).

It will not be the most affordable option, but not too bad either in terms of expense. You could start with a small trainer like a C150 for learning and will definitely be able to sell it and upgrade later to something more suitable for flying up north in AZ.

If you will do this, it is good to find a mentor in airplane ownership.

For an upgrade I can highly recommend the Cardinal! I actually bought my Cardinal pre-solo and while I debated it for a few weeks, I have never regretted the decision.

Sudburian said:
Your Cardinal is definitely pretty cool. Those are on the table too!
Thanks. You can see this really is a value choice and so there are a lot of viable options.

If you want the cheapest way to train, probably keep renting until you have your private.

If you value the flexibility and freedom, buy.

Back